Housing
What size is your tank? 4 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets or freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day 1 pellet in the morning and 1 or 2 bloodworms in the evening with the 7th day as no food

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20% water change bi weekly and 1 time a month i change 50% water with gravel stir and rinse/change in filter
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Right water conditioner and 1tsp aquarium salt every water change

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no i can't afford a water test kit but i think its cycled, when i first got it i put a shrimp in there and it got cloudy for awhile then water went clear. that was a bit over a year now
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color is still good, i don't see any stress stripes, not noticing any parasites, no bloating,
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he doesn't swim around much any more, mostly lays at the bottom. when its feeding time he might come to the top of the tank, and if he does come up he looks at the food either swims away or takes a nibble and sometimes he will eat it but spit it back out and always swims right back down the the bottom to lay down.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i have tried redoing decorations some in case it was boredom
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)?almost 2 years i think

Edit: forgot to mention, he is also a known tail biter with the back end of his tail. he has always done this no matter what i've tried but i haven't seen him do that lately either.
Venesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #2 
lflaviii

This is exactly what's happening with my fish and I'd love to know what's wrong!
lflaviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #3 
StrangeDejavu

I would stop adding the aquarium salt immediately. Unless you're treating for a specific ailment, long term exposure to aquarium salt will destroy a fishes kidneys.
StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #4 
Venesca

I was using the salt because he is a tail biter and I was worried about him getting any infections or being susceptible to fin rot more easily. Didn't know it would hurt his kidneys! Is there anything else I can do to help him?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #5 
StrangeDejavu

No problem, you just generally wanna save salt for dips and no more than a few days, it's really hard on their little kidneys. My EE male has been having fin problems lately and he is healing really fast with IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) extract and Stress Coat+ which contains aloe for fin regrowth. The best thing for him I think would be a water change to remove the salt and add some SC+ to help aid in his healing.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #6 
Venesca

Update on Spaz. done 2 water changes since Sunday. Both with no salt and added in Stress Coat Plus and some Almond Leaf Extract. He is still not acting like the Spaz I grew to love! Still not really eating, maybe one pellet/blood worm a day and laying on the bottom all the time. I also noticed today when I tried to get him to move a lil bit he swam a bit tilted to the right side, which he didn't do before.

Any ideas what else might be wrong with my lil guy? I'm worried :(
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I would recommend going the next 48 hours without feeding him. This is not to treat any bloating signs, but more to see if he is feeling complacent towards his mealtimes- if not he should be very happy to see his food in 2 days time, if he is the same there may be an underlying issue.

For the time being keep his tank lights low or off to give him some rest time, hopefully with a new appreciation for food and some needed napping he will perk up on his own.

Fingers crossed he is just having a funk, but if not keep us posted
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #8 
Venesca

Ok I will try doing that. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #9 
Venesca

I just turned on Spaz light. He twitched a little bit off the bottom then went still. His gills were still moving. So I tried to feed him a pellet. No response while tapping the water to get his attention. After a few mins he is just completely laying on his side and his gills seem to be working over time. I have no idea what could be wrong with him and I don't think he has much time :( Any other ideas please!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #10 
StrangeDejavu

What are your nitrites, ammonia and nitrates at? Also, if you have any Seachem Prime or any other water dechlorinator, it couldn't hurt to add it. One time I accidentally put my betta in chlorinated water and his gills went into overdrive like you're describing. I double dosed Prime and he was back to normal in about 60 seconds.

Keep us posted.