Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #11 
Venesca

I don't know what the levels are at. I've never had a water testing kit and I wouldn't be able to get one this week. The only new things I've done with the water since he started acting this way and I came here is stopped adding the salt and I've added stress coat plus and almond leaf extract.
Venesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #12 
StrangeDejavu

It could possibly be poisoning from either of the three depending on when you did your water change last. Even if you stopped adding the salt, it's still in the water which is why I had suggested a water change to remove it and any other toxins. If you can, do a water change ASAP and see if Spaz shows any improvements. Hopefully this is all that's wrong with the little guy.
StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #13 
Venesca

Today is the 3rd water change I've done since last Sunday when I posted :( Last Sunday I did 25%, Wednesday I did 30% just in case and today I did another 30%. I added in extra Stress Coat Plus/water conditioner and Almond Leaf Extract. He is still not showing any signs of improvement. I've gone ahead and put him in his little beta cup leaving that in the actual tank to keep the temp the same. Could he be bloated without showing signs of being bloated even though he won't eat? Its the only thing I can think of since he isn't swimming right. While he is in the cup I will also be monitoring for any fish waste.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #14 
Venesca

Just a small update, Spaz is producing lil fish waste. Thats good news right?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #15 
StrangeDejavu

Beyond my advice, i'm not really sure what else could be wrong. I'm still new to bettas so my experience is extremely limited. I was hoping someone more experienced would chime in but it's been a few days and no one else is making an effort to help...

Can anyone help this poor fish?
StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #16 
Venesca

Well, Spaz hasn't gotten any worse tonight thankfully!

If anyone has any other suggestions, please respond! I don't want him to suffer :(
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #17 
Taeanna
Reference Team

To check your water concerns you can usually take a sample to your local fish store, many will test it for you.

Are you able to get a picture of him for us to have a look at? it might highlight symptoms to an underlying issue we can address.

For the time being if you have it I recommend stress coat water conditioner and possible epsom salts (sold at grocery stores or pharmacies- unscented only. 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons) which will act as an internal organ cleanser and may help with some internal problem we cant see.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #18 
Venesca

Not the best camera. I'll go see if my local store will test the water this afternoon and will post the results.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #19 
Venesca

Water lvls according to the store chart

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness:between 180-240
Alkalinity:between 60-120
Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #20 
Venesca

He is completely ignoring all food, still tilting to the side when he attempts to swim, and just floats at the top slightly on his side. What could this be?