Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

Lots of questians about betta care

I am looking to get a betta hopefully very soon. I can't decide what tank to get, though I am looking at a 2.5 gallon at pets mart. But they said there are no heaters for that size. And I really need a heater as it will be going in my room, and I like to keep my room colder at night. So is there a heater I can buy for that size? Or should I get a 5 gallon? I would like whatever would make the fish happiest to, but also fairly reasonably price as I am not rich XD. And what will I need to do to prepare it for the betta?How often would a tank need to be cleaned? What will I need to clean it? Will I need to take the fish out while I clean it? And any other cleaning tips.How often does the betta need to be fed? I have been reading once to twice a day? Can I buy the food at walmart or do I need to buy them at a pet store. What about one of those feeders for when you go away? How well do they work? Like if your gone for a week or would you be better of asking someone to care for it? Oh and do you need to put any of the food in a fridge? Cause that could be a problem...And any other tips you can give me about caring for a betta would be much appreciated as I would like to keep it alive a couple years.Sorry for all the questains and any help will be very appreciated as I dont want to kill it or have it get sick! Thanks in advance!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #2 
Kittles

Oh, wow. I'll try to lay down some general information for you, and surely other posters will contribute, but your best bet would be to do some searching around this forum using the search feature at the top of the page to cover the basics. It's an excellent resource.

Quote:
I can't decide what tank to get, though I am looking at a 2.5 gallon at pets mart. But they said there are no heaters for that size. And I really need a heater as it will be going in my room, and I like to keep my room colder at night. So is there a heater I can buy for that size? Or should I get a 5 gallon? I would like whatever would make the fish happiest to, but also fairly reasonably price as I am not rich XD.
Either of those tank sizes are acceptable for a healthy betta. I'd say that if you aren't looking to cycle your tank (which can take up to several weeks) you should go with the 2.5 gallon. If you are looking to cycle your tank, a 5 gallon would be suitable, but would require a filter.

Quote:
And what will I need to do to prepare it for the betta?How often would a tank need to be cleaned?
An uncycled 2.5 gallon tank would need to be cleaned about twice a week doing one 50% water change and one 100% water change. A cycled 5 gallon could require a more substantial amount of preparation depending on whether you do a 'fish in' or 'fishless' cycle. Either way, you'd be doing a lot of monitoring and regulating to keep your cycle progressive and this would also require a filter (the 2.5 doesn't). Both tanks would need their water treated with some sort of dechlorinaor which can be found any place that sells fish.

Quote:
What will I need to clean it?
Clean everything with hot water only. Soaps can leave harmful residue that will kill your fish.

Quote:
Will I need to take the fish out while I clean it?
This depends on a few things: tank size, % water change, what exactly you're cleaning and how. If you're just using a gravel vacuum for a partial water change, your fish can most likely remain in the tank. Some fish may find this stressful, but other fish may be stressed by being placed into a smaller, separate cup. If you're doing a 100% water change, however, your fish would obviously need to be relocated so that the tank and it's contents can be rinsed.

Quote:
How often does the betta need to be fed? I have been reading once to twice a day?
I feed my betta a few pellets once a day. Others feed a few pellets twice a day. It's one of those things that is not very concrete, or crucial for that matter, and is determined how the owner sees fit. Do some trial and error - if you see leftover food floating in your tank, feed less the next time. If your betta becomes bloated, feed less the next time or fast it for a day.

Quote:
Can I buy the food at walmart or do I need to buy them at a pet store.
I've never seen a Walmart fish section, but apparently they carry everything else, so I'd imagine they carry food.

Quote:
What about one of those feeders for when you go away? How well do they work? Like if your gone for a week or would you be better of asking someone to care for it?
Not worth looking into, and a lot of people don't think they're necessary for several reasons. The food would lead to pooping which would contribute to rising ammonia levels, and if nobody is around to do a water change, this could end up killing your fish. It's best to just starve your fish for the duration of your absence. They're quite hardy and can go for a long time without food which, like I said, produces no ammonia.

Quote:
Oh and do you need to put any of the food in a fridge?
Pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and flakes are the most common betta foods and require no refrigeration. I think the only foods that would need to be kept in the fridge are live foods, or frozen foods, but I have no experience with those.

I have to leave for a bit, now, so I can't add any additional information or tips. I hope what I've written is correct as I'd hate to be misleading, but I'm sure anything incorrect will be caught by other members.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-10-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I use a tetra whisper in my 2.5 gallon critter keepers and they work just fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Okay, thanks. You both were very helpful. I think I am ready to get my fish now. Just to get the supplies XD
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote