Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 
CodeRed

And Tragedy Strikes... RIP

Well, while I was away on vacation I prayed my stepdad would leave the fish be. Apparently, he couldn't listen. I come home to find the tanks littered with fish pellets, and two dead, maybe more. RIP Deimos and Maximillion. Vulcan hasn't left his den that he sleeps in, so he, too, could be dead. Ace is looking very ill, along with Shani and Devin. I'm not sure who will last the night, and who won't. Thankfully, Tai and Sherbet seem to be okay, along with Bliss and Skittles.
I've long since known Deimos was on his last legs, but Maximillion's death is VERY hard, as he was one of my favorites, and he seemed to be perfectly healthy when I left. He had such personality, and was always, always watching you carefully. He came to be known as the "Creeper fish", because when you woke up he was watching you. I don't know what to say. I'm down to eight. It hurts. Bad.

Aris and Spitfire are okay, with Aris going into a "rapid shed" to heal his neck wounds (long story short, he got tangled in some tape that was left on some plants, and very nearly died. He's doing just fine, now). The kitties welcomed me home with purrs and kisses.

Augh. I feel like I'm going to lose more tonight ): Devin is in terrible shape, and I thought Shani was dead when I saw her. Why can't people just listen to orders?!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #2 
doggyhog

:((((

Oh no.... I'm really really so sorry... I hope a few pull through!

RIP fishies. :(
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 
CodeRed

Thanks DH. Just confirmed it, Maxxie was alive when Roy fed him, and he overate. My stepdad didn't care. He was just like "He was so happy to eat he died. Oops."
Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about what happened! I hope everyone else makes it. I know how you feel about Maximillion. I feel that way about Rusty.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 
CodeRed

Well, I put them into the freezer to be dealt with tomorrow, and I've cleaned out their tanks with vinegar and hot, hot water, and I'm letting that soak for a bit... then tomorrow I'll be moving Devin into Maxxie's old tank, if he's still alive, and Shani into Deimos', if she's still alive. Then all of my fish will be in two gallon tanks.
I've always been at odds with my stepdad, but his blatant disregard of my fishes lives' has put me over the top. He acted so cheerful about their deaths, even though he KNOWS I love these fish. I've known for a long time that he loathes the bettas, and wants them to all go to my friends so we can start a large tank with Mollies, but I seriously, seriously hope he didn't do this on purpose. Still, he claims he grew up breeding fish, so he should know that fish will eat themselves to death. How could he make such a mistake as this?! I just don't understand it.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry. I hope he wouldn't do it on purpose.I had several situations with pets growing up where my mom gave away a cat and told us it ran away and sent a dog to the pound and we were told it ran away. I hope that if I ever have to be away for a long period of time that she wouldn't do something like flush every one of my fish down the toilet. That thought crosses my mind every now and then.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #7 
CodeRed

It is a scary thought, isn't it? We could one day come back and our babies could be dead or gone.
I now have to clean every single one of the tanks, since all have about 10-12 pellets just floating around. I'm tired after a day of travel, and I have a headache, but I can't leave them sitting in their own poo and waste buildup.
Oh, how I wish now I hadn't even gone on vacation.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Could you put them in some temporary containers with clean water until tomorrow when you've gotten some sleep and are better able to handle all this?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #9 
CodeRed

I would if I could, but most of them have retreated into their hides until morning ;x I guess this is it for now... the others will have to wait until morning. Thanks for the help, though. I just wish there had been a better return home.
I better get some sleep. Had an early day, and now a late night.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope you get a good night's rest and your headache goes away.