Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #1 
Sanine

Question Fin rot or tail biting question

My fish has a big piece of his tail missing. It was fine yesterday afternoon before I did a water change. This afternoon when I got home from work I noticed a chunk of his tail missing. When I changed his water I put him into the container he came in from the store, did the 100% water change and put the container in the water to float so that the water temps would become close enough for him to swim in without going into shock. He is in what i believe to be a 1.5 gallon tank. I have a filter and a heater and the temp is currently at 78.

He had pop eye a few weeks ago and I had him in aquarium salt for the past 12 days to help with the pop eye. Now with the fins, my question is, should I continue to put the aquarium salt in with his water? or should I buy medicine for him and not use the salt since he has been in it already a while? I'm attaching 2 photos one where his tail is normal and one taken tonight, my phone screen is a little distracting in the photo tonight, but I couldn't keep that from showing on the wall of the tank. I also apoligize for the photos being so big. I can't figure out how to make them smaller.

I also noticed from looking at pics in previous threads about fin rot that the fins were white. his tail fin doesn't have big white spots on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sanine; 04-10-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: smaller photos
Sanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #2 
Neelie

hard to tell by the pics but imo it looks like a simple rip. nothing to be concerned about at all. i would keep a close eye on it, if more chunks go missing he's biting, if not, then its just a rip which will heal and id ignore it
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #3 
PinkDiamond

Personally, I'd stop adding the salt and just give the fish a chance to heal with super clean water and good food.

Salt won't do much at all to help if there's an infection, and adding salt to the water can cause mild stress since bettas are strictly fresh water fish. Salt can act as a mild antiseptic, but I always try to let fish heal on their own first, and it's always worked beautifully for my bettas over the years.

So I would stop adding the salt (or look into an actual medication if his popeye still hasn't resolved) and just keep the water super clean and warm, feed him really good food and observe him for signs that it's worsening.

Sometimes when large chunks missing from the fins can be tail biting (that's what it looked like when my boy was biting) or just an injury, but you've just gotta see how it progresses (or doesn't, hopefully!) to see what's going on.

Here's a link to a discussion of fin loss vs. fin rot that really helps me to identify what's what:

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/viewtop...fc8083017721b3

Hope this helps!
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote