Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #21 
1fish2fish

IMO 1-2 gallon tanks are a good size. Right now my rescues are all in 1 gallon tanks save on who is in a 2 gallon. 2 gallons are nice because you can put an adjustable heater in them without worrying... but one gallons are really easy to change the water out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #22 
TheJadeBetta

Thank you!
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #23 
kelly528

Bear in mind that for a tank you are going to be measuring medicine into, smaller sizes are not always practical... of course you don't want to be treating 20g worth of water for 1 betta. That would add up money-wise. But in the same breath, lord help you if you ever find yourself having to divvy up a packet of maracyn powder into 1g portions.

Of course most powder antibiotics can be diluted with water and kept in the fridge but I would never advise refridgerating antibiotics for more than a few days.

So for that reason I prefer a 5g for QT.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #24 
xxabc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
But in the same breath, lord help you if you ever find yourself having to divvy up a packet of maracyn powder into 1g portions.
I've done it before for a friend.

It's really bad.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #25 
Kittles

Ugh. When I rationed the Maracyn out some months ago for a treatment for Roy Cherry I nearly went insane. I ended up doing it on my desk with a credit card. Made some crack lines, etc.

Not advised, but of course, there are alternative medications and tanks.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #26 
1fish2fish

When I have an actual house then a 5 gallon will be the hospital of choice.. living in a dorm doesn't really lend itself to storing a 5 gallon tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #27 
xxabc

Alternative medicines like healthy water changes. Always the first step! Of course we all probably will use medicine at one point. Maracyn 1 is probably the only one I've ever used.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #28 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittles View Post
Ugh. When I rationed the Maracyn out some months ago for a treatment for Roy Cherry I nearly went insane. I ended up doing it on my desk with a credit card. Made some crack lines, etc.

Not advised, but of course, there are alternative medications and tanks.

LOL! Same here! Good thing my parents didn't walk in or I don't know if they'd accept my explaination.

Worst of all was bringing home Levimasole (sold under the table in Canada) in little ziplock baggies... ON public transit, during the Winter Olympics when security was high. Did you know levimasole is one of the most common 'fillers' mixed in with cocaine? Had I been searched I wouldna been in custody until the lab results came back!

Unfortunately most antibiotics are sold in powder form to increase their shelf life.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #29 
xxabc

Quote:
LOL! Same here! Good thing my parents didn't walk in or I don't know if they'd accept my explaination.

Worst of all was bringing home Levimasole (sold under the table in Canada) in little ziplock baggies... ON public transit, during the Winter Olympics when security was high. Did you know levimasole is one of the most common 'fillers' mixed in with cocaine? Had I been searched I wouldna been in custody until the lab results came back!

Unfortunately most antibiotics are sold in powder form to increase their shelf life.

You don't know how much these thoughts made me giggle inside, lol :)
Old 04-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #30 
Kittles

Quote:

LOL. The things we do for our fish...
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote