Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #11 
lartiste

I never did any water test in my G. tank, mainly because I didn't know a single thing about water parameters.

But since I got my Betta, I ALWAYS do water change twice a week, especially when he was in his G tank.

But now, I'm going to continue (I stopped for 10 days, since I started my new tank) water changes twice a week, 50% each change as said before.
lartiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #12 
Mister Sparkle

Water changes are good. But you should still test your water.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #13 
lartiste

Oh I've learned! I test the water maybe every 2-3 days, with pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test.

I just want the entire nitrogen cycle to be finally over (in a couple of weeks...)
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #14 
lartiste

Hi again!

Rather than starting a new topic, it would be easier to continue this one, since you "know" a little bit more my Betta...

Is it normal that he always stay on top of the water? Since his illness (2 months ago), he isn't able to dive underwater, he seems to struggle just to go an inch under the surface... Usually, he doesn't go under the surface at all...

Is there anything I can do? Does my tank lack Oxygen? (I have just fake plants). Or is it again an illness?

At least he eats (even if he struggles a lot to catch his food).
He also often swin "on his side"... like if there is one side heavier than the other...

Thx a lot for your help!
Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #15 
Tinthalas Tigris

It probably is him still suffering from his ammonia burn.

Add a tiny amount of salt to the water, if you've not already.

Alot of individuals here are against the use of aquarium salt for bettas, but I've found about 1 tablespoon of salt (Iodized, Aquarium, Kosher - these are all okay to add) per 5 gallons of water, will make the ammonia poisoning symptoms lessen.

There is a strong chance he has had permanent damage to his swim bladder. Alternatively, he might be so sore in his gills and labyrinth organ, that he doesn't want to attain additional water or air in his body, and a little bit of salt will help. HOw much for a half gallon?

You'll be looking at using 1/10th of a tablespoon for a half gallon container. That is just a sprinkles worth. I suggest adding it directly to his next water change, letting it dissolve, and then putting into the aquarium. It is a very mild antiseptic, but alot of bettas (my own include) respond well to the presence when they're doing badly.

best of luck, but I really recommend getting some sort of a bigger container for the little guy. I was at a second-hand store with my wife the other day and found a whole mess of amazing aquariums for 6 dollars or less, all 20 gallons or less.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like his swim bladder may be inflamed, damaged or infected from the poor water quality when you first got him and kept him in the half gallon without proper water changes, sometimes once this damage has happened it is really hard to reverse...but all is not lost and he has hope...hopefully it is just edema......

In my opinion and experience when dealing with this type of issue related to swim bladder problems not disease-it is a natural treatment with Epsom salt and daily water changes as follows:
I would put him back in the half gallon and start doing daily 100% water changes with Epsom salt 1tsp/gal, get a clean 1g jug and pre-mix the Epsom salt to make water changes and dosage easier. For the next 10 day make the Epsom salt 100% water changes.
Do not feed him for the next 3 days
If this is advanced stage broad spectrum antibiotics may be needed.

Also, salt will have no effect on ammonia in the water, however, salt can help with nitrite poisoning....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #17 
lartiste

T. Tigris : I bought a 1 G. (ok, it's not THAT big, but it's better than the G. isn't?).

So (Oldfishlady), I remove my Betta from his 1G. and put it back (after 3 weeks) in his old G.?

And what is Epsom salt (is it on sale in pet stores?).

Thx a lot to you 2 guys for tryin' to help me (and Gustave!)
Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate) can be found in most stores pharmacy area, I get mine at walmart...I don't think I have ever seen it in pet shop...not to say it is not sold in them.....

Keep us updated and I hope he gets better.......can you post a pic?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #19 
lartiste

I'm sorry for bothering (again)... but why do I have to put my Betta back in his old (little) tank?

Is it because there's not filter?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Sorry, I should have explained that better...

Treatment is best completed in QT or a small container, this makes it easier for correct dosage and for water changes.
You don't need to worry about filtration at this point as you will be doing 100% daily water changes

Find a clean 1 gallon jug and pre-mix the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal and dechlorinator if on city water supply, keep the jug of water and the fish in the same area so the water temps will be close. I would try and keep the water temp in the 76-78F range.