Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #31 
lartiste

Can I change filter or not? (I read about it and it was always a bit unsure, because good bacterias stick to the filter).

Thx a lot, you're a real Betta-Encyclopedia!
lartiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #32 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lartiste View Post
Can I change filter or not? (I read about it and it was always a bit unsure, because good bacterias stick to the filter).

Thx a lot, you're a real Betta-Encyclopedia!
IMO/E it is best to give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water when you make your water change to get the big gunk off a couple of times a month or if the water flow slows, you want the filter media to look dirty but not impede water flow.

When I used store bought filter media I would always remove the carbon and save it and I only changed my filter media 1-2 times a year and only when it was falling apart, now I make my own with polyfill that I get in the craft department.
Most of the carbon in the media is of low quality and only active for 2-4 weeks, it won't hurt anything but it won't do anything either IMO/E

If you need to change the filter media you can cut the sponge part away and put in with the new filter media for a week or so to help seed the new filter media to prevent a mini-cycle
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #33 
lartiste

Almost everywhere I read, they say Epsom Salt is very stressful for the bettas and we shouldn't let them in it for more than 60min... I put mine 30min ago... I don't know what to do! (I trust Oldfishlady, but there's a big difference between 60min and 10 days). I'm confused!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #34 
Mister Sparkle

Have no fear, @lartiste! She seriously knows what she's doing. I've done the epsom thing, too...for periods of a week or more. It's harmless, as long as you aren't giving your fish any other medications which specifically warn you NOT to use epsom salt.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #35 
lartiste

Another question :(... First, I'll put back my Betta in his G. Tank with Epsom Salt and everyday water change. But, my (tap and conditionned) water is pretty cold. Can I put my heater (for a 1.5gG. tank) in his old G. tank, laying horizontally on the bottom? The heater automatically set the temperature to 78F., so there should not be any risk of "cooking" my Betta...
Old 04-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #36 
Oldfishlady

Be careful with the heater in a half gallon, even with the auto shut off they can over heat the tank due to the amount of water, what is the watts on the heater?

Also, can you adjust your tap water so the temp is a bit warmer? but use a thermometer to check the water temp...I mix my hot and cold to equalize the temp and I use one of those digital kitchen thermometer and hold it under the water and I use it for quick temp checks (it is used for fish related temps only..no food)
Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #37 
lartiste

My heater is 50W. I put it in the small tank (should I remove?). I don't have a little thermometer yet, but it isn't a bad idea. But, even if I heat the entire room (which I do, it is 2-3 degres C. warmer than the rest of the house), the waer temperature "seems" colder... but the room must be 22-23 degres, so it shouldn't be THAT cold I guess...

But there's a difference with the heater and without, that's for sure.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #38 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't use a 50w heater in a half gallon..too risky and could cook the fish...how is he since you started the daily water changes and Epsom salt?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #39 
lartiste

Haha I was just about to post it anyway! BTW, thanx a lot for your help and support .

Betta (Gustave) is doin' ok... move pretty less in the "Epsom Salted water" than in his tank... seems a little "Drowsy", like almost not moving and doing it very slowly. Seems sad duh. I removed the heater... and will put mild tap water to equilibrate the temperature.

We're on Day 2 (the first day I put him just an hour...).

I'm gonna feed him this sunday (after 3days). I'm still doing water changes every 3-4 days (50%) in his 1G. tank. I'm really considering selling this tank and buying at least 3-3.5G (maybe 5G. but I don't have a lot of room). I don't know if it'S THAT worthy though... I mean, I don't know if Gustave would be that happier/"healthy". But in my 1.5G tank there's almost less space than his G. (considering the fact that Gustave don't go under water anymore, and with the filter/heater...).
Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #40 
lartiste

Ok I put Gustave in his 1.5G tank after 10 days (with dauly water changes) in his 0,5G with Epsom Salt.

He doesn't look changed at all... unfortunately. So he still stay on top of the water... and he is still often laying on his side, like if his right side is kinda floating... when he moves, he comes back to normal, it's just when he rests (not always) that he's laying on his side.

Thx a lot for your help, but I don't see what would be good to him... Is there a med or some kind of treatment?