Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #1 
TigerLily

(Large) Home-made dividers

I suppose I'm back after a bit of a break and I'm ready to start a new project now that the 29gallon is ready to be used again.

I would like to divide the 29gallon tank into three sections to house my male bettas. The problem is, my local pet store does not sell dividers that are big enough, so I'm going to have to make them myself.

I have made small dividers before using plastic mesh and report-sliders, but if at all possible, I would like these new dividers to be more like windows than nets.

I would love any suggestions or ideas you guys might have!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

I'm not sure what you mean by "windows than nets".. but if you want the divider to be straight all you have to do is glue them.. that way you can cut your mesh to fit the width of the tank exactly.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #3 
Kittles

Windows as in.. solid and clear? Maybe with perforations?

My only suggestion is plexiglass, but I'm not sure where you'd find it or how much it costs. Would look pretty neat, though, that's for sure.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #4 
TigerLily

What I meant by "more windows than nets" is that I want something that looks clean, clear, and easy to see through. I'd rather not have a wall of white with pinprick holes. There will be plants along the divided portions, to keep the boys from staring at each other, I'd just like to make something that looks a bit more...minimalistic.

Originally I was thinking plastic or plexiglass, but having no real experience with these, I was hoping someone could offer some insight or other suggestions.

Last edited by TigerLily; 04-12-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #5 
TigerLily

Sorry for the double post, but I just found (again) the inspiration behind this desire, from one of our very own betta-lovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwuMCv8txkg

This. Something close to this. :D
Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #6 
Kittles

That is definitely a swish tank. I'd like to know where those dividing pieces were found and if they were custom made. Have you messaged that uploader?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #7 
TigerLily

If I remember right, that tank belongs to ChristinaRoss (as we know her here) and although I've talked with her a bit via messages, it has not really been about this yet.

I'll send a message on over through youtube and see what I get back, if she has a chance to respond. In the meantime, if anyone has any handy ideas on how to easily make something similar...I'm all ears.

Assuming it is Plexiglass, I wonder what tools would be needed to properly cut it. I also wonder how tightly they fit into the tank. I know they would have to be sturdy, but still loose enough to slide into place. I've never used that material before, so I have no idea how flexible it might be.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

I think you can get plexiglass cut at the store. You would have to silicone it in to make it stand up correctly just like you would any other divider.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 
TigerLily

Is there a specific type of silicone to use?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

aquarium grade.. you can get it at walmart or petsmart for cheap