Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #1 
Bettachick007

No experence and questions.

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it, if it is.
I have alwase loved Betta's and their pretty colours and lovley fins, a few days ago my perants said I was aloud some Betta's I am over the moon about this and I have done alot of reserch but im very confused as diffrent sites say diffrent things and im going crazy! I have a few questions...

1.Can you keep two or more female Betta's in the same tank? (I know two male Betta's together don't work)
2.What size tank should I buy? (I have heard that the tank has to be at least 2 gallons)
3.What should I feed to a Betta? (I have heard they can have fish flakes made for Betta's but I have
also heard they eat live things! )
4.Is it easy to install/work filters and heaters?
5.Are Betta's worth all this trubble?

Im only 13 and I feel like my brain is going to explode I get the basic things like I need a filter and a heater and a large tank (I have been told at least a 2 gallon tank) but Im woundering if mabey Betta's are not worth all this trubble.
Thank you
Bettachick007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettachick007 View Post
1.Can you keep two or more female Betta's in the same tank? (I know two male Betta's together don't work) Yes, but you must have at least a 10g tank and at least 4 females. I do not recommend it for a beginner.
2.What size tank should I buy? (I have heard that the tank has to be at least 2 gallons) 2 gallons and up is fine. There isn't really such a thing as to big of a tank!
3.What should I feed to a Betta? (I have heard they can have fish flakes made for Betta's but I have
also heard they eat live things! ) You can get betta pellets. But also get them treats such as bloodworms and brine shrimp.
Yep!!!!!!
That's up to you.

Im only 13 and I feel like my brain is going to explode I get the basic things like I need a filter and a heater and a large tank (I have been told at least a 2 gallon tank) but Im woundering if mabey Betta's are not worth all this trubble.
Thank you
Welcome to the forum!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #3 
Bettachick007

Thank you :D
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #4 
hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettachick007 View Post
First of all sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it, if it is.
I have alwase loved Betta's and their pretty colours and lovley fins, a few days ago my perants said I was aloud some Betta's I am over the moon about this and I have done alot of reserch but im very confused as diffrent sites say diffrent things and im going crazy! I have a few questions...

1.Can you keep two or more female Betta's in the same tank? (I know two male Betta's together don't work)
2.What size tank should I buy? (I have heard that the tank has to be at least 2 gallons)

Thank you
Welcome ! You have lots of questions. Lets hope we can give you some answers !

Q1. Yes, you can keep more than one female (needs to be 4 or more, though, to spread out the aggression) together. Although you will need at least a 10 gallon tank minimum to think of doing that.

Q2. My advice would be to get one male betta, and buy him a 5 gallon tank. 5 gallon is still pretty small and cheap, but your Betta will thank you for giving him a little space to live in.

Q3. Feeding Bettas ... variety is the key to a healthy Betta. I'd advise mixing betta pellets (Atisons are good), Tetra prima, and frozen bloodworm or brine shrimp once or twice a week. Also a tiny piece of defrosted, shelled frozen pea once a week is great. Tropical fish flakes are also good as part of the variety, but many bettas will not touch flake. In fact they can be rather fussy at times !

Q4. THe general answer is yes, they are reasonably easy, if you follow basic rules, like making sure the heater always stays under water, or it could crack. Filters vary a lot in design, and use. Bettas don't like too much watre flow, so choose a filter suitable for that. BEst thing would be to have a talk with someone in a fish shop, to talk you through the options.

Q5. My opinion is that Betta's are worth it. They are the King of fish. great, interactive personalities. Realtively easy to keep. Well worth it.
hamfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Like any pet they take work, the fish hobby can be fun and you get out of it what you put in it like any hobby.
For the true fish keeper it is worth the work and the enjoyment out weighs the work and it is not all that much work once you get everything settled in.
You can learn so much in this hobby too and a lot of it is science based...which is cool IMO......

I would recommend that you start off with one male betta, get a 2-3g tank, heater, bucket for water changes and a vacuum for the tank or you can use a turkey baster or even a cup. You don't have to have a filter but it helps.
Read up on the nitrogen cycle, you can't get a true cycle without a filter or aeration of some type.

Regardless of filtration you need to plan on at least twice weekly water change and if you are on city water supply you will need a good dechlorinator to add with all new water added to the fish tank.

Food, a good varied diet is best, they sell betta pellets, flakes that are great for a staple diet and bloodworms for a weekly treat, live food are great I use guppy fry, mosquito larva and a few other live foods, but these are food you don't have to feed for the health of the fish, they are just fun to feed.....

Water changes are the most important parts of fish keeping IMO/E, freshwater fish need fresh water to thrive and stay healthy.

You will get lots of opinion on fish keeping and most are correct, IMO/E there are lots of right ways to keep fish it is finding what works for you and your set up, fish, and source water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #6 
Bettachick007

Ok thank you for the advise both of you it has helped me alot.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #7 
TigerLily

The others have given you some great advice, I just want to wish you luck on starting your new hobby!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #8 
javi

If I could make a tank suggestion. Walmart sells the 5 gallon glass kit for only $29. Then ya buy a heater for like $12 and a CFl bulb and all the decorations. It is pretty cheap and nice.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #9 
xxabc

A bit late, but thought I'd put my input anyways! Haha.

I would say 4 or more bettas would work. Two female bettas would probably duke it out to the death. It's much riskier. If you have at least four, the aggression spreads out more easily. If you want to have bettas, I wouldn't suggest a sorority to be your first tank. I've been told 10 gallons should be the absolute minimum.

IMO, I put my bettas in no less than 5 gallons. For suggestions, I prefer around 2-2.5 gallons minimum. The bigger the better...in this case it's actually true.

I feed pellets, and freezedried bloodworms. As said before, the key-word IS variety. Feed them more than just one thing. Pellets and/or flakes make great staples (consistent food fed most of the time) as they're high in nutrition. Treats like FREEZEDREID bloodworms, liveworms, etc, should only be treats, as they're low in nutrition. Although according to 1fish2fish, live foods are the highest in nutrition, then pellets/flakes, then frozen, and lastly freezedried. I don't feed my bettas live foods though. I don't have my hands on any.

Also for dry foods like pellets and freezedried, you should soak in tank water (in a medicine cup or anything similar) for 30seconds at least, to prevent constipation.

I had trouble with them, but I'm okay now. It's pretty easy, if you read the instructions to the dot. Lol.

Yes. Yes they are. :) Although, I'll be blunt, they WILL cost money if you really want to fully enjoy them...or maybe...that's just me. Ha. If you don't have the money to spend on him, you may find more troubles.

Thank you

Once you get one, you'll see. And have you ever seen 10g, 20g, 50g, 100g? 2gs are nothing, lol :) However, as a starter, 5 gallons is a perfect size. 2 gallons end up being almost as costly as 5 gallons. Go to Walmart (mentioned above) for the 5 gallon for only (yes, only) $30. Other 2 gallons cost about $20. And you still need heaters and gravels and plants and etc. Might as well? Haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you got a lot of good advice. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote