Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #1 
Narnian

Red face Hard time deciding on a tank :-(

So I am a fairly indecisive person when it comes to making decisions. I think about things FOREVER, trying to weigh out the pros and cons, and usually decide upon something......until the next day when I change my mind again.

As you can imagine, I'm having a difficult time deciding on the "perfect" tank. I need honest feedback on which tank would be EASIEST and CHEAPEST to maintain over the years. I do not want to bite off more then I can chew with a large tank, but sometimes hear that a small tank is harder to maintain, and more dangerous for a newbie because there's less water and mistakes show up faster. Here are my options:

1. Eclipse 5 gallon Hex tank (leaning most towards this, besides the price factor it will cost to set up, buy extra decor, etc.

2. Petco 2 gallon Hex tank

Now before you jump and say 5 gallons is better, convince me why it would be easier to care for. I'm so afraid it will be more then I can maintain and that I should stick with a smaller one. All I can think of in my head is MONEY MONEY MONEY!!! It will require more decor, more plants, more gravel, more water....etc. etc. But if you honestly think it would be better in the long run, I'm willing to foot the extra up front costs.

Off-topic. Would this be big enough for 1 betta, 2 ghost shrimp, and perhaps an african frog? (may not get the frog though)

Last edited by Narnian; 04-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #2 
CodeRed

I can't help here, as I have 2 gallon critter keepers, but if you want the ghost shrimp and african frog, five gallons is the way to go. 2 gallons is really barely big enough for a single betta.

Which, that could be used as a incentive to get the five gallon. Even though it's larger, that allows more freedom in decorating, you can get a few "companions" for your betta, it'll keep the betta for life, you can heat it easily, and have filtration.

Edit:
I soo just contradicted myself. "I can't help you here... blah blah blah.... BUT" lol. Sorry. I do have a five gallon, it's just not in use. It wasn't cycled, you see, and it was too big of a pain to clean. I don't have the necessary tools to cycle it now, though I wish I did. It would be nice to have set up (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #3 
doggyhog

I'd say go for a 10g tank. Before you say no way! Read this!

A great size, and you can either have tank mates or divide it for other bettas.
Water changes are SO much simpler and quicker. (Just stick your syphon in and vacuum 25% of the water once a week!) Check craigslist for a tank. You can get some GREAT deals! Also, if your birthday is coming up, ask for Petco/petsmart gift cards!!! Trust me, a 10g is MUCH easier to maintain then a 2g! I have a few of both. :)

I promise you'll love a 10g! :D
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #4 
Narnian

Lol! It's alright. I appreciate any little bit of help I can get! Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't get any tank mates in the 2 gallon, only the 5 gallon. :) After watching vids on Youtube of the 5, I am in love with it!!

Yes, the heater was the other main concern, as it can be hard to heat a smaller tank without it overheating. Thank you CodeRed. The fish in your avatar is beautiful, btw!

-------------------
EDIT: Oops! Sorry doggyhog, we must have posted at the same time. And sorry, but I already decided against 10 gallon long ago.......for many reasons.

1. I have hamsters and already have 3 - 10gallon plus 2 - 20gallon long tanks. Rectangle tanks remind me of hamsters too much lol.

2. The unit I'm planning to put it on concerns me that it wouldn't hold 100+ lbs.

3. It's too big to put on the unit anyway.

Sorry, it's just not an option right now, but I feel 5 is a nice balance between a small tank and a 10 gallon. And it's still large enough to siphon too. :) Thank you though!

Last edited by Narnian; 04-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #5 
herbwin

Getting a 5 shouldn't cost much more, and would allow you more freedom and options in the future. Accessories would cost about the same, plus decor could be added a little at a time.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Even though I usually don't like hex tanks (harder to see the fish) in this situation I would go with the Eclipse. Eclipse are AWESOME tanks and marineland has excellent customer service. A 5 gallon means less water changes, a better cycle, and of course more room for your fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #7 
Narnian

herbwin: Actually the price difference is $50 vs. $25, so yeah, huge difference. :(

1fish2fish: I understand what you mean about hexagons. I didn't used to care for them much either, but I dislike rectangles, and a bow front wouldn't quite fit right on my unit, so I fell in love with hex tanks since it takes up slightly less area, but is still 5 gallons. Plus the shape is pretty cute too. I'm planning to put a background on 3 sides to help with the reflections.

And thanks for the help all! It seems the votes are all saying 5 gallon? Are you SURE you aren't just trying to make me spend more money? LOL
Old 04-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #8 
nacho

My thought processes are about the same as yours. For me, taking care of the fish has to be easy to maintain and low-cost. I started out wanting a tiny, manageable tank to put on my desk but soon realized that that would require daily water changes and a lot more effort than a filtered 2-gallon. Then I read things about 2 gallons being the minimum for betta.

So at one point, I decided on a 5-gallon. I researched some more and found that still more maintenance goes into a 5-gallon than a 10-gallon. I decided that 10 gallons is a good size, mainly for its relatively low-maintenance.

I set aside around $55 for the tank and the hood combined if I were to get a 10 gallon, but I ended up spending $15 for the tank, hood, filter, and heaters today. If you can find a deal on Craigslist, I think you could end up spending less money on a 10 gallon than a completely new Eclipse 5.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #9 
Narnian

I agree, and the 10 gallon would probably be cheapest right now as I already have a tank that could be used. (Would just need to buy hood/light/filter/etc.) However, as mentioned a 10 gallon would take up too much room on my unit, and would be too heavy anyway. So it's really not even an option at this point.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #10 
CodeRed

I'm glad to have helped! And thank you, Sherbet appreciates it xD I'm sure you'll enjoy the five gallon when you get it. It takes a bit (okay, a bit more than a bit o.o) to set up, but if you play your cards right and design it in your head ahead of time, you could very well end up with a stunning tank. Good luck!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote