I have a sick Betta and i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what i could do to help him out. Honestly he has pretty much been sick since i got him from the pet store. When i first got him i kept him in a 1Gal bowl on my desk at work but about 2 months ago i switched him to a 2.5 Gallon tank.
Also about 2 months ago i added a pleco to the tank (Im aware he may outgrow this someday) - the pleco is doing just fine ...not sick in any way.
At one point i believe that he had ick so i started treating him with formalin and malachite green and this seemed to keep it at bay. I thought it was a solved issue until i was away for 2 days and came back to find he was completely infested with it. At this point i started to again add this and have been adding it daily ever since. His fins were also rotting and at one point he almost had none left - was sluggish - i thought he was a gonner so i went to the pet store and got maracyn(this was the only antibiotic they had available). After a week of treatment with the maracyn his fins have regrown and he is again acting and seeming healthy.
However, he still has red streaks on his body and a red dot on his head...So i went online and i ordered Maracyn plus and have been using this for the past week with no change! AGH WHAT DO I DO???! I just want him to be healthy and happy.
Below is more info.
1. What is the size of your tank?
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
Dont use a kit - I do a 50% water change every week and get out all the ick at the bottom.
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
About 2 months
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Pleco - about 2 months
Betta - 7 months
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
Water temp is 80 degrees
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
No live plants
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
No filter - just a bubble stone
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
Just have the bubble stone, therm, heater, two fake plants, a cave, and stones
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
There is no natural lighting for this tank, I have an incandescent light that i put on while i am at work sun-thurs for 7 hours
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
User a siphon(sp?) to take out 50% of the water on a weekly basis
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
Fed 2x Daily
Betta pellets at 2:30pm
Bloodworms at 11pm
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
Seems mostly cured except for the red dot on the forehead and red streaks on the body.
When the light is off in the tank he does seem to have a golden glow.....(velvet?) but i cant be sure he wasnt that way previously. Also seems to have blueish spots on him - they skinny oval shapes on his body closer to the gills.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
formalin - malachite blue - red online this can cure ich
maracyn - was afraid he would die and this was the only antibiotic i could find...it did cure the fin rot and make him start eating again
maracyn plus - i wanted to treat gram negative and gram positive bacteria but its not working!!!!!!!
Hope this is enough. THANKS in ADVANCE!!!!!!!