Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #1 
thegameksk

Worried about Betta

Hey all. I think my Betta might be sick. He used to spend most of his time at the top of the tank, at midlevel, or swimming around. For the past few days he stays at the bottom in his skull. He doesnt leave it for hours on end. Even when I go to feed him he wont come up. I used to tap the cover of the tank and hed know its feeding time and hed come up. Now he just stays in the skull or he put the food in his mouth and spits it out. Im worried because I used to have my tank split and this was the same stuff my other Betta did before she died in December.
I have a 10 gallon heated/filtered tank. That has been cycled with seachem stability and conditioned with prime. Any ideas of what could be wrong?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #2 
bloo97

How old is he?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #3 
thegameksk

Young. I only had him since last April.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What are the water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and water temp,
How much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one?
What kind of additives used if any, and how much and what for?
Any other live stock in the tank with him?
How long has the tank been set up?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 AM   #5 
thegameksk

I am waiting for my master kit to come to test the water. The temp is between 75-80 depending on if the lights on or not. My last water change was a few days ago. I had a bad outbreak of algae so I dumped the gravel, put new gravel in, and did a full water change. Im not sure what you mean by additives but I use prime and seachem stability. No other livestock in the tank. Its been setup since November.

What are the water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and water temp,
How much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one?
What kind of additives used if any, and how much and what for?
Any other live stock in the tank with him?
How long has the tank been set up?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #6 
shannon

Having done a complete water change and new gravel it is possible your tank needs to cycle again I would do a 50% water change (making sure the new water is the same temp and PH as the old) treated to remove cholrine. Chances are you have a high amount of toxins in your water.
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #7 
thegameksk

Ive used the seachem to cycle my tank before and have never had this issue though.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #8 
thegameksk

Ive noticed he sometimes has trouble swimming like he may swim on his side but if I put my hand in the tank to try to help him he can swim normal and he swims away from me fast. He doesnt look bloated and there are no growths on him. Should I put any kind of medicine/salt in the tank?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Guessing you had a spike of either ammonia or nitrites due to complete tank cleaning. And when he swims on his side, is he near the flow from the filter?

What were your ammonia or nitrite readings?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #10 
thegameksk

No he isnt near the flow. Im not sure what the readings are. All I have now are the test strips. Im waiting for my master kit to come. What should I do in the meantime? I have a small tank (maybe a few liters). Should I put him in that for now? Its not filtered or heated though.