Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #1 
Stages

Question First Post! 3 gal tank questions

Hi! This is my first time posting, and I have a few questions about my new tank set up. (Please note, these pictures are thumbnails, if you click on them, they will take you to the full size image on Photobucket)
I have Franklin in a plastic storage container with the lid cut out and replaced with window mesh, as you can see here:

Before I had him in a 1 gallon tank, and I felt sorry for him, hence the makeshift tank.

The container is 12 liters (3.1 gal) and is filled to probably a little under 3 gallons.
I am using the Tetra Whisper Internal Filter for 1-3 gallons (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whis...-1-ct/10291765)
and a 7.5 watt heater (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&lmdn=SHOP+FOR). I have a thermometer hanging in the tank, as well.

I have two fake plants, as well as a mini flower pot with the hole hot glued over so he can't get stuck. Upon next water change, I will be removing the last traces of multi-colored gravel from the tank.

Now, for the questions:
1) Does this seem like an acceptable set up?
2) How often will I need to change the water?
3) Franklin seems to be a very picky eater- he'll eat a pellet then spit it out, but he gobbles up frozen bloodworms ( I only give him one if he hasn't finished his meal). What should I do about this?
4) Are there any acceptable tank-mates for this size? If so, what would they be? Franklin is very feisty- he spends a considerable amount of his time flaring at his reflection.
5) Does he need a light? I could (in theory) put his light under the cabinet above his tank, but is it really necessary? He'll be living in the kitchen.

And here's a glamor shot of him, just for fun.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

(Also, if anyone is so inclined, an explanation on the proper way to post photos would be much appreciated.)
Stages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Your set up looks good to me. The plant in the middle might tear up his fins. But some ghost shrimp maybe an African Dwarf Frog would be ideal tank mates. I would add a light.

A question, will you be putting gravel in his home?

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum!
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Welcome!!

1. Yes this is very acceptable.
2. I would do two partial water changes everyweek with 100% every other week.
3. You want to give him a stable pellet diet. So just give him the pellet, if he doesn't eat it, he doesn't eat it. (his loss xP) He'll eventually learn that this is the only food he's getting for the day. Bloodworms should only be given once a week as a treat. On those days I don't give my bettas pellets, just the bloodworms. They also need a day to fast.
4. No, not really in a 3 gallon.
5. Lights are important for the day/night cycle. But ultimately it's up to you. Since he'll be in the kitchen, he might get enough light without them. IMO though, it's better to have one. Plus your betta would look handsomer! Also be careful about direct sunlight that he might get, it could cause algae growth.

Your pictures are fine. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 
Stages

I may add gravel, or some river rocks. Is it really necessary?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 
TheJadeBetta

No, not really. But IMO gravel or river rocks gives the tank more appeal, I guess you would say. You don't have to if you don't want to, just a thought.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeBetta View Post
Your set up looks good to me. The plant in the middle might tear up his fins. But some ghost shrimp maybe an African Dwarf Frog would be ideal tank mates. I would add a light.

A question, will you be putting gravel in his home?

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum!
ADFs are social so should only be kept in pairs. If I remember correctly they're dirty, and need a bigger space.

And you can have barebottom tanks, especially on smaller ones that won't be cycled.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stages View Post
I may add gravel, or some river rocks. Is it really necessary?
Not necessary but it just looks nice.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your betta.

You can try soaking his pellets in a little garlic juice to entice him to eat them and make them a little softer. Some pellets are pretty big and dry. The best one I've found is the Hikari Betta Bio-gold. They're nice and small and every one of my bettas absolutely love them. I feed them a few in the morning and a few more at night.

Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
ADFs are social so should only be kept in pairs. If I remember correctly they're dirty, and need a bigger space.

And you can have barebottom tanks, especially on smaller ones that won't be cycled.
Okay, I didn't know much about the ADFs.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #9 
Stages

Awesome! Thanks so much, guys. I really wanted to get a bigger tank, but my husband needs more convincing first.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote