Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #1 
stitchgk

New Betta!

Hey all,

Several days ago I bought a Betta. I used to own a few, but that was almost ten years ago, and seem to have forgotten everything! Just looking for a few good tips and such!

Here is what I got:
-Male Betta, cute little ruby red fella
-Plastic tank, 1/2 gallon
-Gravel and plastic plant
-Betta food pellets
-Water purifier

Questions?!?!
1) How often should I change the water? No information I could find for tanks this small.
2) Well, should I get a bigger tank? Does it really matter?
3) Do I need a heater, or filter?
4) As you see it, will my Betta be fine as I have it all now? or is it a must that I need to upgrade things?

I'm planning on getting either a real plant or a silk one, because the plastic plant seems a little sharp. Also sometime soon I'll get a little cave for him.

Thanks so much!
stitchgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 
xxabc

Keep in mind you're hearing from a girl who likes bigger tanks. Haha.

Here is what I got:
-Male Betta, cute little ruby red fella
-Plastic tank, 1/2 gallon
-Gravel and plastic plant
-Betta food pellets
-Water purifier

What kind of water purifier is it? Is it the one that came with a kit? If so, I recommend buying Seachem Prime if you're up to it. It's an amazing conditioner, detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and of course chlorine and chloramines.

Questions?!?!
1) How often should I change the water? No information I could find for tanks this small.

In a 1/2 gallon? A lot if you REALLY want to take care of him. I'm talking...perhaps twice daily. A 1/2 gallon is very small...the ammonia levels will be hazardous, and the temperatures will be crazy. Sure, he will probably live quite a while. Bettas are strong, hardy fish. But there's so much more damage going on than just that.

2) Well, should I get a bigger tank? Does it really matter?

Yes. I definitely say yes. How much money do you have to spend? There's nothing wrong with secondhand tanks (aside from the complete obvious, of course), and there are some good aquarium kits at pet store / Walmart that run by quite cheaply. I house my bettas in 5 gallon. A current 5 gallon is divided into two. I'm not going to divide it anymore once I 1) get a new tank 2) one passes away.

3) Do I need a heater, or filter?

In that size, I don't believe anything will fit, or fit safely. This is also a reason for upgrading. 2-2.5 gallons are usually the safest minimal size to ensure a heater. Filters are not entirely necessary unless you want to cycle. If you want to cycle (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate), I would recommend 5 gallons. They seem to be the best size.

4) As you see it, will my Betta be fine as I have it all now? or is it a must that I need to upgrade things?

Like above, I would suggest upgrading to a bigger tank. The temperature should be around 77-80F. Temperature fluctuations are not very healthy either. I would like to say it's a must to upgrade, although that would be quite incorrect. If you're willing to keep up with everything, somehow heating him up, and cleaning his tank out very often, it will probably work.

Good luck!!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #3 
javi

It would be good if ya took the tank back and got something larger. I love the 5 gallon kit i bought from walmart as well as the 6 gallon book shelf tank i got from petco. Think of how nice a planted tank would look with your little guy swimming all over. If this is a cost issue then try to find a way to budget and get what ya need as ya can. Good luck
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #4 
TigerLily

I also have a 5 gallon tank kit from Wal Mart. It was very affordable and includes the hood, light, and filter. It's a good way to go, and your betta will be much happier with more space.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #5 
stitchgk

Thank you so much xxabc, and everyone else!

I think I'll try upgrading in the next week or so, anyone remember how much one of the 5 gallon kits cost?
stitchgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 
xxabc

$29 at the store I believe. That's how much I got it for. Add about $12 or so for heater.

Javi - How much did the setup for the bookshelf tank cost? I want to save up for it. It's gorgeous...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #7 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
It would be good if ya took the tank back and got something larger. I love the 5 gallon kit i bought from walmart as well as the 6 gallon book shelf tank i got from petco. Think of how nice a planted tank would look with your little guy swimming all over. If this is a cost issue then try to find a way to budget and get what ya need as ya can. Good luck
How long ago did you get your 6 gallon at petco ? I can never find it?
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #8 
javi

I bought it from petco a couple of years ago and used it for less than a month and i think i paid like $39. Now it is $49. But it is so nice. And looks so big.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #9 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
I bought it from petco a couple of years ago and used it for less than a month and i think i paid like $39. Now it is $49. But it is so nice. And looks so big.
I have the eclipse 6 & its taller. I wanted something shorter height wise & longer across. Guess ill have to look again.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Definitely upgrade the tank.. you need something at least 2.5 gallons with 5 being ideal (you can go bigger though if you want ). Until your able to get a bigger tank I would do a complete water change every single day. Ammonia from fish waste will build up really fast in a tank that size.

A heater is a must. Bettas are tropical fish and need to be in temperatures 76-82*F. An adjustable heater is ideal so you can set just the right temperature.

Check the plastic plant you got.. if you run a piece of pantyhose on it and they snag then the plant will most likely tear your fish's tail, silk plants or live ones are best but if you can find soft plastic plants they can work too.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new betta