Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #1 
MikeHall

My first Betta fish.

Hello, I have just got a beautiful red Betta fish. The fish came with the tank. My friend's friend was moving out of his house, and didn't have room to keep this fish tank. It is a small little Mini Bow 2.5 Gallon Aquarium, but I'm not sure I got all of the pieces. Here is a picture:

I have a few questions.
A few places that sell this tank online say it comes with a "water conditioner". What is that? I didn't get one from the guy. Do I need one? Where can I buy it? How much does it cost?

Heating: Do I need to buy a heater? The people who originally had this didn't have a heater...I think. I live in the Seattle area where it is generally pretty cool and my house stays in about a 67-72 range.

Lighting: Does the light have to be on always?

Cleaning: How often do I clean the tank? My guess is just whenever it looks like it needs to be cleaned.

The Filter: How often do I have to replace the filter? How much would it cost?
Is the filter supposed to have this annoying buzz that can be heard from other rooms? Like...I understand the sound of the water dripping but if I am going to have this in my room and sleep with it in here that could possibly drive me crazy. How long can the fish go without the filter if I were to go on vacation or the power goes out or something like that?

The fish itself: I don't know how old this fish is, or even what sex it is. I am guessing male. What do you guys think?

You may have noticed from the picture that the base is missing on the tank. I did that on purpose. I like the way the light shines through the little beads onto the desk. Is that bad?

Thanks in advance for any help!
MikeHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #2 
xxabc

A few places that sell this tank online say it comes with a "water conditioner". What is that? I didn't get one from the guy. Do I need one? Where can I buy it? How much does it cost?

The "water conditioner" is to remove the chlorine in tap water. If you put in tap water, untreated (filled with chlorine), he will die in...30 minutes? That's one of the most crucial parts of water conditioner. They're very cheap as well.

You can also leave out water for 24 hours to remove the chlorine, however, I don't prefer doing this. I don't have the space to leave out buckets of water, and who knows what will get in it. I highly recommend 'Seachem Prime'. Very cheap in the smallest bottle (it will last a LONG time). Also detoxifies ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, removes chlorines and chloramines. And that's not an industry-commercial thing either, it actually does it :)

Heating: Do I need to buy a heater? The people who originally had this didn't have a heater...I think. I live in the Seattle area where it is generally pretty cool and my house stays in about a 67-72 range.

Bettas are tropical fish, so yes, they need heaters. 77-80F is a good range. Especially in your areas, I would say it's quite important. There are cheap ones at walmart, Tetra Whisper Heater, 2-15 i believe. What size is your tank? 2.5?

Lighting: Does the light have to be on always?

No, They need day/night cycles like we do. I keep mine on around 8-12 hours a day. It can vary, no need to be entirely strict on it. Just watch algae growth if it's on too long.

Cleaning: How often do I clean the tank? My guess is just whenever it looks like it needs to be cleaned.

Haha, nice guess, but not exactly. It depends what size it is. I'll make it a bit simpler and wait until you answer it, so I don't have to put too much unnecessary info here. It looks like you may have to do it once or twice a week if it's not cycled. How long did the people have it?

The Filter: How often do I have to replace the filter? How much would it cost?

I don't know what kind of filter that is. Is that a cartridge? If so... onced I used up my cartridges, I went to Petco/Petsmart, bought some sponges, cut it up to fit nicely, and stuck it in. With sponges (unless it's carbon...) you don' thave to clean it out unless it looks REALLY dirty. And I mean visibly dirty, or blocking the filter from working. My guess is...that will probably take around 6-months or so, according to other's data.

Is the filter supposed to have this annoying buzz that can be heard from other rooms? Like...I understand the sound of the water dripping but if I am going to have this in my room and sleep with it in here that could possibly drive me crazy. How long can the fish go without the filter if I were to go on vacation or the power goes out or something like that?

Mine doesn't... filters aren't necessary. Only for cycling ("Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle", I'll find the link in a moment) are they necessary.

Filters in general can be annoying, it's just... them. There's probably something mechanical in there, who knows. I'm bad with filters.

He's definitely male. But age? Seriously, it could be 1 year to 5 years, who knows, haha...

You may have noticed from the picture that the base is missing on the tank. I did that on purpose. I like the way the light shines through the little beads onto the desk. Is that bad?

Huh. It does look pretty, lol. It was probably to support the bottom... I don't know if it's dangerous...I'm not a risky person, so I would've never done that, but let's see other's opinions on that as well.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #3 
MikeHall

Haha, what a detailed answer, thank you!

To start off, to transport the whole thing to me, my friend drained more than half of the water that was already in there. Not knowing what else to do, I just filled it with tap water. That was roughly 7-8 hours ago and the fish seems to be okay. That same friend says he has been using untreated tap water on his own fish for years. I didn't know tap water even had chlorine in it D: Still, let's hope the fish survives long enough for me to get to a pet store and get some water conditioner.

Yes, the tank is 2.5 gallons. Here is a link, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Bow-2.5-Gallon-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/3635102

That's good that I can turn that light off, I'm not very fond of night lights :)

Really, I don't know anything about the people that had this before, even their names.

I'll try tinkering around with the filter later on. I think the little turtle statue inside is wedging it against the side.

I will also try to get more information on the history of the tank and fish.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #4 
MikeHall

Something I just thought of, my dad has a huge box of different chemicals and measuring devices for our hot tub, is there anything in that box I could use? We have one of those hot tubs where it isn't filled with chlorine and you're supposed to take a shower before you go in it, to keep it clean. If that helps.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 
MikeHall

Well, the night has passed and he is still alive and happily swimming around (I think). It is very funny to watch him be so curious in the area between the side of the tank and the turtle statue. He swims down and tries to squeeze his face in as far as it can go and then struggles to back out of it. Very silly.

I also had a question about sound. How much does sound effect them? Is it bad to have him in a room where I sometimes play loud music and lots of video games? Not to mention that horrendous sound coming from the filter!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #6 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Mike, XXABC gave some great, in-depth answers that should cover everything.

Good luck, and welcome to this addictive hobby.

Beth
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #7 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

I just r5ead your second post.

DO NOT use the hot tub stuff!
A water conditioner kit, floating thermometer and heater can all be had for about 20 - 25 bucks.

If you love your fish, you need these items.

Good luck.
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #8 
MikeHall

Lol, okay I am going to try to get to the pet store (or at least find one) when I get home from school today. I will buy the heater and water purification kit (or just the SeaChem Prime stuff). I wont be seeing any new posts for a few hours.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #9 
MikeHall

The fish has been living in this water for 24 hours now. Do you think I could get away with ordering the supplies online?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #10 
xxabc

Perhaps, although I would probably push into buying the water conditioner straight from the store. I recommend doing a water change very soon, just for your betta's sake.

For water changes, try googling "water siphon", or "gravel vacuum" or "gravel cleaner" (They're all the same thing, just alternate names). For water changes, these are LIVE SAVERS. There's a youtube link that perfectly shows how to correctly insert a vacuum, although it doesn't show how to start it (I can trust you'll be able to learn this on your own? Haha). BTW The video is a commercial, but when I watched it, I found out I was doing it wrong the whole time... haha... Oh, and plus, you'll need a large bucket for the water to flow into.

My two bettas are near (but not DIRECTLY near) 4 speakers that can be VERY, VERY loud. They seem to be fine, although I have never been told about it. If you put a betta directly on a speaker, the vibrations will freak it out nonstop.

The thing with tap water is that it holds a good amount of minerals and nutrients for your betta. If you use filtered water from fridges and whatnot, the mineral/nutrients is less. Spring water, even more so. You should NEVER used distilled water, as it lacks nearly everything. I would say that's only in emergencies. I have no idea what "tap water" is... and yes, chlorine is still in tap water. As long as you don't put him in 100% water with tap, he might be okay, although that's a scary thought, adding chlorinated water...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote