Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #1 
Glass Fish

Help me with my cat!

So this is my cat. He's agorgeous boy but super aggressive and i have no idea what to do?
He's a young male, not yet fixed, indoor and outdoor and is the only cat i own.

He's moody, aggressive, bites, scratches and complains loudly if he doesn't get his way. What can i do? Is this normal? His biting is really insane, everyone and all the damn time.
Attached Images

Glass Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #2 
Fenghuang

How old is he? Was he always aggressive?

Make sure you know and understand the difference between playing and outright hostility. It is not uncommon for younger cats to play rough. Kittens playfight with their littermates to learn essential life skills that they would need in the wild and they often continue to do so as they grow. They usually mellow out as they grow, around the age of two or three.

Upbringing is also a factor. Kittens separated from their moms and siblings early are usually less social and friendly. Also, if you don't teach them early on that hands and ankles and other human body parts are not toys, cats may perceive them as free game and you'd have to work to break that habit. If you usually give him what he wants when he complains or acts badly, he will learn that you will give in to certain undesirable behaviors to get him to stop. You have to be harsh and just ignore him when he whines or howls and he will learn that that does not work.

Male cats can become very aggressive and territorial upon reaching sexually maturity too, but keep in mind that neutering is not the answer to every behavioral problem. But if your cat is indoor/outdoor, I do recommend that you do get him fixed. Toms are much more likely to roam and roaming cats are more in danger of getting injured or killed. Plus, homeless kittens are never good.

But in the end, it is hard to say if your cat is normal or not without knowing him, since every cat is different, and I am no expert. There are some individuals that are just naturally aggressive as part of their personality.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-12-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Do you have pet stores in Thailand with pheromone diffusers? A lot of people have success with them when they have cats with behavioral problems.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #4 
Glass Fish

He was born last year, we got him October and at that time he was abiut 1 and a half months old. So i would say he's a young adult.

I kinda figured that part of it was because he didnt have a kitten friend to play with. I dont think he's hostile but he bites when hes hungry. Its hard because im not the only one in the house so everyone treats him different so maybe that's why he's started acting badly. I guess i have to have a serious discussion with everyone about this.

He also bites and attacks human hands and feet. I definietly think he was taught that human limbs were toys. It's kind of too late now. Any tips on how to break his habit?

Before, ive only kept female cats so i didnt know males could get territorial. I will look into getting him fixed. My boyfriend wanted him as a stud because he's beautiful but thats not going to happen now so i really think we should do it. The whole possiblity of him being hurt might convince my boyfriend to let me get him fixed.

Thing about him is he can be so cute when he's tired. We let him play with chiuahuahs and i think he's happy he can play with someone.

As forpheremone diffusers... I have no idea what that is. What are they supposed to do?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #5 
TheAnimaLover

Pets don't show their personalty until a certain age meaning that might just be the hidden cat that didn't show until now or if you didn't spay it, it could get more aggressive
TheAnimaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

It is still possible to train an older cat not to bite or scratch. If he gets too excited when you are playing with him and starts using teeth or nails, stop playing with him immediately. Do not play with him until he calms down. If he bites or scratches you, make a loud cry to show that he hurt you and walk away from him. This will teach him that you do not like it when he does those things and that means less fun for him.

Do your best to ignore him if he tries to bully you for food through biting. When he realizes that the tactic no longer works, the behavior will become less frequent.

Yeah, it does depend a lot on personality, but some cats can be more territorial than others. Especially when they are looking to breed and are full of testosterone. Sexually mature cats are more likely to get into fights with other males over females.

They can also travel far away from home looking for female cats to mate with. Sometimes, they disappear for days or even weeks. The farther they go, the higher the risk of them getting lost, hit by cars, killed or injured by other animals, caught by other humans, and so on. I do not know about where you live, but I know there are places where unscrupulous people can make money off of stealing and selling another person's pet if it is a valuable or rare breed (Sphynx cats like yours certainly fall under that category). It is fine if you want to keep him unaltered so you can breed him later, but I would keep an keep on him if that is the case.

Pheromones are chemicals that every living thing produces to signal moods like excitement and fear and trigger responses to other individuals of the same species. Humans are not as aware of them as most animals. A pheromone diffuser is a spray that releases calming phermonomes to help relax aggitated/excited animals.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-12-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #7 
1RainbowBetta

Great suggestions from Fenghuang. Since you got him at only 6 weeks of age if he had no mom cat or siblings around after that time it may have contributed to his behavior. It's very important you be consistent while trying to teach him better manners. It has to be not okay, all the time, for him to play rough with people. If he gets away with it sometimes it's going to be harder for him to learn.
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #8 
Glass Fish

Okay, so i want to say a HUGE thank you to you guys. Your suggestions are very thoughtful and helpful.

So i will definitely make sure that no one plays with him rough and that all our behaviour is consistent. And i've already used the 'he might disappear for days and get hurt' excuse to convince my boyfriend to let me get him fixed. So he's going next week and im quite relieved for a few reasons.

Im not sure if we have pheremone diffusers where i am but i will certainly search high and low for them.

And thank you Rainbowfish, i am definitely gonna follow your advice. And i think you're right. He may have lost out on playing with other kittens
Old 06-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #9 
myexplodingcat

Quickest way to break a cat of biting you? When he bites down--like, say, on your hands--shove your hand further into his mouth. It doesn't hurt them, but it is unpleasant for them, they'll gag for a second and release you. Pulling away means raking the teeth through your skin, but forcing them to release in a way they don't like means they're less likely to bite again.

I really recommend neutering this guy if you don't want him spraying everywhere. That'll help with the behavioral issues too, and keep him safer as mentioned above.

If you ever decide to start keeping him indoors most of the time, the plastic nail caps for cat claws are actually really effective. Our cats go crazy when we try to trim their nails, but they'll hold still while we glue these weird plastic caps on. I don't know why. But if he's going outside, those might not be a good idea since they need their claws to ward off attackers, climb trees and so on. So, yeah.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #10 
charliegill110

squirt him with a squirt bottle filled with water anytime he does a bad behavior.
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote