Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #11 
TheAnimaLover

That might be a little too aggressive and may cause some distrust (not that i have a cat)
TheAnimaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #12 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegill110 View Post
squirt him with a squirt bottle filled with water anytime he does a bad behavior.
Squirting cats with water bottles is not an effective means of permanent behavior modification. They do not learn that the bad behavior is bad. They just learn that you holding a water bottle in your hand is bad. They will quickly figure out that if you don't have a water bottle in your hand, they can do whatever they want. Furthermore, punishments like that can cause some cats to become fear and anxious of you.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #13 
Mikaila31

Location: ap yap ruff woof woof. Bark, ba-bark bark woof bark yap yap yap. ... ruff woof woof. Bark, ba-bark b
Srsly get him fixed. Thats certainly part of why he is so pissed off.

experience: I have a 20 year old indoor/outdoor fixed male that has managed to stay alive so far but probably not much longer.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I've found that younger cats whether neutered or not, sometimes go through this terrible period where they have to use their teeth and claws on everything. I always think of it as cat adolescence.

It's like they suddenly discover they have these claws and they are not afraid to use them.

How much do you play with him? We have a male that is extremely boisterous and will bite and draw blood on my legs if I ignore him. I tire him out by letting him wrestle one of our dogs (he likes this particular dog) and play with him outside during the day. I make him climb up trees, chase toys, and let him leap out and run after me in the front yard and down our sideway. I find if a cat has a lot of energy to burn they can become a lot more ferocious.

You also have to watch how you interact with him. For example, being roughly patted seems to excite many cats. If I pat our cats a certain way they will roll over and start biting my hand. Cats seem to become very easily overstimulated by being patted and this often ends up with them trying to deglove your hand.

Honestly, those pheromone diffusers have done nothing ever for any behaviours in our cats. We used to use them, and I never noticed anyone behaving in a calmer manner or becoming more docile. We got one to try and help with our cat spraying and he went and sprayed all over it.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #15 
charliegill110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Squirting cats with water bottles is not an effective means of permanent behavior modification. They do not learn that the bad behavior is bad. They just learn that you holding a water bottle in your hand is bad. They will quickly figure out that if you don't have a water bottle in your hand, they can do whatever they want. Furthermore, punishments like that can cause some cats to become fear and anxious of you.
i have to disagree. my grandma let a stray in and she was always...different from other cats but about a year ago (my grandma has had her for at least 4 years) she got seriously aggressive, not playing but very mean. she kept sneaking up and clawing and attacking my grandma in the face while my grandma was sleeping. her pillows and blankets were always bloody and my grandma was actually afraid of the cat. it became a daily thing of her getting attacked by the cat. we took her to the vet and found out she was fixed and theres nothing medically wrong with her. so we got the squirt bottle. after about 2 times of being squirted she learned to just run away and her behavior hadn't changed. so when she would randomly viciously attack someone for no reason i would grab the water bottle scream "KiTTY NO" and wildly run after her stomping my feet very hard and when i would catch her i would squirt her twice and then calmly walk away. she would follow me out about a minute later and would rub on my legs and i would give her scratches and talk to her. it took me chasing her down probably about ten times and then stopped completely. and its like a brand new cat. its been a year and shes still being good.

eta: it was a pretty severe case of aggression because my grandma had accidentally unintentionally reinforced the aggression.

Last edited by charliegill110; 06-15-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: adding info
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #16 
1RainbowBetta

We have used a squirt gun to discourage our cats from getting on the table or scratching where they're not supposed to. The trick is that you have to be somewhat sneaky about it and that can be difficult. You want to squirt them on the back or somewhere else on their body, never in their face, and not let them see you holding it. They need to think it just comes out of nowhere when they do whatever you're trying to teach them not to do, so they don't associate it with you. It can be effective, but difficult to keep them from figuring out you're the one squirting them. If you want to try this to curb aggression against people, the best way would be to have someone other than the person being attacked do the squirting.
1RainbowBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #17 
winterdock

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Fish View Post
So this is my cat. He's agorgeous boy but super aggressive and i have no idea what to do?
He's a young male, not yet fixed, indoor and outdoor and is the only cat i own.

He's moody, aggressive, bites, scratches and complains loudly if he doesn't get his way. What can i do? Is this normal? His biting is really insane, everyone and all the damn time.
For one thing, get the thing fixed ! Don't allow him out until it's neutered
Why do some people insist on sharing their problems with others when it comes to felines ?

If you do allow him out , be responsible and have him on a harness and leash . Even after you get him fixed . Which you should right away
Nothing more annoying than somebody else's cat crapping and spraying everywhere. Killing anything it can because that is what cats do

I have had my so-called aggressive cat for almost six years and with proper training, has become the love of the family's life
He goes out on a harness with it's owner firmly attached to the other end
It is not a rocket science
If you want to rid yourself of a cat problem , just keep letting him out unattended
One day he will not come home. I guarantee it

Last edited by winterdock; 06-16-2014 at 12:16 PM.
winterdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #18 
Fenghuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegill110 View Post
i have to disagree. my grandma let a stray in and she was always...different from other cats but about a year ago (my grandma has had her for at least 4 years) she got seriously aggressive, not playing but very mean. she kept sneaking up and clawing and attacking my grandma in the face while my grandma was sleeping. her pillows and blankets were always bloody and my grandma was actually afraid of the cat. it became a daily thing of her getting attacked by the cat. we took her to the vet and found out she was fixed and theres nothing medically wrong with her. so we got the squirt bottle. after about 2 times of being squirted she learned to just run away and her behavior hadn't changed. so when she would randomly viciously attack someone for no reason i would grab the water bottle scream "KiTTY NO" and wildly run after her stomping my feet very hard and when i would catch her i would squirt her twice and then calmly walk away. she would follow me out about a minute later and would rub on my legs and i would give her scratches and talk to her. it took me chasing her down probably about ten times and then stopped completely. and its like a brand new cat. its been a year and shes still being good.

eta: it was a pretty severe case of aggression because my grandma had accidentally unintentionally reinforced the aggression.
I can believe that people have successful with it, but I feel like it would be hard to sustain. You have to get the cat to associate the undesirable behavior with the consequent, not with you. Which, like Rainbow said, usually requires you to be more covert about it and that can be hard if you are the only person or you don't have the water bottle with you.

There are also cats that stop being afraid of the water bottle (or rarely, there are cats that actually enjoy it) and the total brats that know the water bottle is coming, stare you down, and then still commit the offense. Some cats act out to get your attention and it is really easy to reinforce their bad behavior if they can get any rise out of you, even a bad one. For those, it would not work.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #19 
Fishybitty

I think getting him neutered would help greatly. Plus, if he is indoor/outdoor he doesn't really need to be getting other cats pregnant lol.

If he still acts up, there are calming aids out there. Personally I like the collar it seems pretty effective. Also using a chamomile/lavender diffuser.

Btw he is very pretty. I personally wouldn't let him out..people are mean in this world and someone could steal or harm him.
(my aunt let her cat outside and someone shot him in the leg, he had to get it amputated)

Take him for walks instead. :)

Good luck!

Last edited by Fishybitty; 06-20-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #20 
DianeA7X

You should get that dude I believe his name is Jackson from My Cat From Hell ;) haha but other than that good luck with him. He's a beauty. =)
DianeA7X is offline   Reply With Quote