Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #1 
Welsh

How is this 54 Litre?

Hi, I have found this 54 litre tank and would like your opinions on what you think, is it suitable for a Male betta? also I know Male bettas are aggressive fish but I have also heard that they can sometimes live in peace with other fish. I would like to add other fish to this tank with my betta but I need to know what ones would be suitable and how many I could have.

These are what I was thinking.

1 Male Betta
5 Cardinal Tetras
3 Cory Cats

I have also heard that plattie fish can live with Bettas but I think adding a school of those would overcrowd the tank. Please feel free to correct me =)

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #2 
Neelie

dunno bout the tetras... i heard they nibble on bettas or visa versa. the cory cats are great companions though
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #3 
ThePearlFish

you can see in my siggy that I have one betta living with 3 cardinal tetras and 3 cory cats. For me it worked, but not all bettas will tolerate other fish. if I were you, in the begginning i'd go with the cory cats (since they are bottom dwellers and rarely come to the top and you can see how your betta might tolerate fish.) then if all is good maybe add the cardinal tetras a few at a time so it isn't overwhelming to the betta.

~TPF

ps- in my siggy just remember I have dividers so the other betta i mention is seperated from the one that lives with the corys and tetras.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #4 
Firefly

Ive always had my betta with tetra they seemed to be fine, the one lost his eye tho:/ Agro betta.. anyway, id suggest just going with the bottom dwellers. I asked my LFS again about what i can put with my betta, and she says although they can live with some other fish, having them alone is better as they will just get stressed out by tetra especially (tetra are alot faster) so id say if u dont wana have him alone in the tank, go for a few bottom dwellers.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #5 
DanMarion

I had my betta in with neon tetras, and he was fine with them for the first week or so. After that, he killed 3 in one morning... Not sure why he changed his mind about his tankmates, but the betta has his own 10g aquarium now, he only shares it with an African Dwarf Frog. No more mixing any fish with my betta :P
DanMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #6 
Kittles

Quote:
...but the betta has his own 10g aquarium now, he only shares it with an African Dwarf Frog.
I've read from a few members that ADFs are social and like to be kept in the company of other ADFs.

And to Welsh, seeing as your tank is just shy of 15 gallons you could probably add a couple more cory catfish. Five or six, in my opinion, would be a good number because they're pretty social and interact more in larger groups.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #7 
darkangel216

I also had some tetras in with one of my female bettas. They lived in peace for well over a month, then a day after I did a 50% water change on the tank, one was dead and half eaten, and I never found the other one. I guess she was so stressed she decided to make comfort food out of the little guys. O.o The bettas never seem to mind bottom feeders though, so the cory cats are a good bet. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #8 
Welsh

Thanks guys. I've actually gone for the 60 litre so I will be adding some cory cats like kittles suggested. I love these fish seen them today in the pet store and their so little and cute lol. I also saw this tiny little pleco and would just like to know do these grow much?

Thanks =)
Old 04-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #9 
Kittles

I forgot to ask, or missed, whether you were cycling your tank or not. Corydoras are very sensitive to water parameters and I think a cycled tank is best for them. They are a blast, though, so I'd hate to dissuade you from them or anything.

As far as the Pleco, most do grow to be large and, as far as I know, they are not suggested for aquariums under 20 gallons.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #10 
Welsh

Emm......I hope im cycling my tank. I added this stuff that came with it that was like bacteria liquid or something lol. I havent got fish yet obviously but how do you really cycle a tank I know it takes 2 weeks (thats what the assistant at the store told me) but other than adding the liquid is there anything else i can do?

My parents used to have a massive tank when we were kids and we had this common pleco that still haunts me to this day. So i saw the little one and fell in love with it, im just gutted that its going to grow lol. So i cant have it, im looking forward to the corys though saw a lot of cute ones i just cant wait to get my fish and plants lol Didnt come across a male betta today though =( but the females were really pretty which i was shocked at cause people sometimes believe females are ugly but these were gorgeous lol

Ok so clearly iv had one glass of wine to many and now im blabbering so im going to end this ramble here lmao