Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #1 
DarthMaul
Banned

Question how is light stessful to bettas?

I have noticed on several posts that when a betta is being treated and or recovering it is reccomended to keep them in the dark to keep the fish from stressing. How in the world is light stressful to a recovering fish? I mean, what do they do in their natural wild environment lol
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Actually their natural environment is very darkly tinted water which doesn't let nearly as much light through as the crystal clear water most aquarists have.

Darkening a tank has two uses:
1. It keeps the fish from seeing outside of the tank and being stressed by its surroundings.
2. Darkness signals night which will make the fish less active, giving its body time to heal.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #3 
nochoramet

Ditto to what 1f2f said. Also, when you're sick, wouldn't you rather stay in a dim room with nothing going on so you can relax? That's about how the bettas feel.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #4 
kelly528

I might add that most fish found in freshwater aquaria are "forest fish" and reside in rivers or swamps shaded by trees and swim in water tinted by leaf litter. With the exception of perhaps guppies, platies, mollies and some brackish fish a setting where the light is unfiltered by heavy vegetation is largely foreign. In fact recent aquarium though suggests that many of these 'forest fish' do considerably better on dark subsrates as well.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #5 
xxabc

There's also keeping light on 24/7. All fish in nature have day and night cycles. Having a light on all day can be stressful just by thought...although I currently am not sure how to explain it.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #6 
kelly528

Well they do have to sleep so leaving the light on is like putting thme in a sleeper cell :O

I always cringe when I ask someone how long they keep their light on and they answer 'since I got him'. Poor fishies!!!

To think I feel terrible for waking my fish when I have to turn on a light in the middle of the night when I get home from a late shift at work!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Sometimes I feel bad when I watch tv late at night or leave my desk lamp on a long time for the 2 tanks that sit on my desk (the tv light shines that way). I don't think it really affects the fish but once I get my shelf unit set up I think they'll appreciate the dark more.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 
xxabc

I never wake up my fish in the middle of the night anymore... it takes way too long to feed. They really DO have a wake-up time! Every time I turn on the lights in the middle of the night, they just...run into the glass. Slowly drifting. Going down. It's adorably funny, but so sad haha... they don't even see their own food.

Turning on lights since they got them? Goodness. Can't wait for their algae outbreak. Poor fish... !!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

This technique is used with every animal. If you watch any vet show, they'll put a towel or something over the animals head to calm them down. I've sat on a horses head to calm him down after he slipped and fell down until my friend ran to get a blanket off of the fence.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #10 
DarthMaul
Banned

I never said I leave a light on 24/7 my fish have natural light the comes from the window on the other side of my room from sun up to sun down and MAYBE a couple hrs of artificial light at night :) was JUST was a general question
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote