Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #1 
Corykit

Pacing?

Hey folks, just upgraded my tank from a 2 gallon to a ten gallon. Previously he only had one plant, but now I have many live plants and a little cave for him, plus three cory cats. In his 2 gallon he seemed very easy going and at times a little lethargic. But now he seems restless, whenever I watch him, he seems to be patrolling the back of the tank, pacing like a caged lion. I would think he would like to swim around the whole tank, not just the back of the tank!

Is this normal? Am I just being too paranoid for my betta, and that he just needs to get used to his new tank? Every morning so far I do see him at the front of the tank sleeping or watching the cory cats (who are doing great as well). Maybe he's just showing off or did he claim the back of the tank as his territory?
Corykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Seems like he's just getting used to the "new digs"! Being in such a large space without competition, it's gotta feel like a kid in an unsupervised candy store! In short time, he'll likely stake out a section as "his", probably centered around what he feels is the most suitable plant. Since you have all that space to work with, you might want to consider adding some neon or cardinal tetras, maybe guppies...something along those lines? That's more to make your aquarium more active...he could probably care less! 8)
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #3 
TigerLily

Be careful if you add guppies. Not all bettas are willing to tolerate them as tank mates and may decide to go after them. Still, adding something to the tank might be a good idea.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Yes, veil-tailed guppies may appear to be other male bettas. But, overall, given the speed of a guppy, I don't see there being much violence!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #5 
TigerLily

Personally, I would not chance having the two together when there are other fish to choose from that are not such a risk. As unlikely as violence may be, it is still worth noting that accidents can happen. Why run the unnecessary risk of agitating the betta and potentially harming the guppies? For the safety of all animals in the tank, I would prefer to lean towards the side of caution and avoid the guppies.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #6 
Corykit

I think I am leaning toward some neon tetras and an extra cory. I mainly got the tank for my betta since he is the star of the show, but more fish to be in his kingdom would be nice. :P
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I have never had a male Betta mistake a fancy guppy tail as one of their own species, I keep both male fancy guppies and Bettas together without issues and as mentioned the guppies are too fast for a male, I have had the male guppies go after female betta to breed though....male guppies do seem to confuse species at times...lol....
Careful not to overcrowd your tank and I agree about your bettas behavior being new environment related, check your water prams to be sure.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Most times I've seen bettas in a community setting, they've shared space with guppies and/or corys. To the best of my knowledge, I think that pretty much all the livebearers would make good neighbors for a betta.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #9 
Corykit

I just got the neon tetras and an extra cory cat (I can't get enough, always need more cats!) and they are awesome! I love the activity they bring to the middle of the aquarium, and my betta does not seem to mind them, he just watched them for a bit before he resumed his patrol, heh. What a vigilant guy
Old 04-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #10 
vaygirl

If the light is brighter then what he had before he might be seeing his reflection in the back for the first time and chasing it. Tango spends a large portion of his day flaring at himself and patrolling after himself at the back of the tank.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote