betta fish

Old 04-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #11 
soleilvie

Who said you leave the light on 24/7?
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #12 
DarthMaul
Banned

i saw a lot of replies making it look like i had NO idea what proper lighting is, etc. based on the question i asked. my question had NOTHING to do with lighting with a healthy betta, it was for a SICK betta, which i did get the answers right away and like always, peoples passion got in the way and they saw something that did not met their own "personal" preference so they make it out to where if someone does it do it THEIR way, they are wrong.... just saying =]
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #13 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
Ditto to what 1f2f said. Also, when you're sick, wouldn't you rather stay in a dim room with nothing going on so you can relax? That's about how the bettas feel.
no need to be SO sensitive..WOW...it was JUST a questions sheesh
Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

No one was talking about you or how you light your tanks. The whole light 24/7 was an offshoot that had nothing to do with the original question or the original poster.. it was about "people" who think leaving lights on 24/7 is acceptable... one of the common misconceptions of fish keeping.

And what Nocho said wasn't sensitive.. she was simply using an analogy from human perspective to relate to the fish and why darkening the tank would relieve stress.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #15 
DarthMaul
Banned

ya...and it also sensitive and was dumbing me down. of course i would WANT to be a dim peaceful place when i am under the weather
Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #16 
xxabc

Nocho was giving an example. A rather simple example we can all relate to and/or imagine easily, it had nothing to do with dumbing you down.

I just wanted to mention leaving lights on 24/7... because I have heard of people doing it, and I'm like "What??" No one should leave the lights on 24/7, but it shows that not everyone knows this either.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

My neighbor keeps her tank lights on 24/7 and it doesn't seem to bother the fish. Her betta at least has a cave to go into.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #18 
xxabc

I guess I was too straightforward...I'm more worried about the fish without those darker-places to hide in. If they were exposed to light 24/7, with no place to go into, what would the consequences be?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

I imagine the fish would be quite stressed. I know how hard it is for me to sleep with the light on I imagine its similar to any animal.

Eventually after a while I'm sure the fish would get used to it but at what cost?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know one thing for sure, my bettas do NOT like being in a dark room and have someone turn the lights on. They act disoriented or something.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote