Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 AM   #21 
xxabc

They see their own reflection. I think the light glares DIRECTLY off of the glass when the outside scene is dark, and acts as a mirror, even if slightly. Which worries me, because at night, sometimes the family will turn off the living room lights and disregard the bettas. It happens hours on ends while I do homework sometimes too.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #22 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
They see their own reflection. I think the light glares DIRECTLY off of the glass when the outside scene is dark, and acts as a mirror, even if slightly. Which worries me, because at night, sometimes the family will turn off the living room lights and disregard the bettas. It happens hours on ends while I do homework sometimes too.
Ahhh I HATE it when that happens... my betta bit his tail until I got a timer. Now the lights are only on during daylight.

With reference to treating sick fish, I find keeping the tank light off (daylight should not be an huge issue) a VERY big help with treatment. Not only does it allow the fish to rest and sleep more, but some meds such as levimasole are light sensitive and won't work for crap while you're blasting your T5HOs over a high tech tank.

Also when fish are injured... keeping the light off is again a big help for traumatized fish. And even when acclimating new fish it sort of gives them "less to deal with".

All in all with many animals I find that 'mood lighting' is a big big BIG help with stress of any sort. The less visual stimulation they are processing and the more they're resting/sleeping, the more energy goes into fighting bugs and recouperating.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #23 
vaygirl

When I first put Tango in his 16 gallon with a big bright light he was completely freaked out. He'd had LED lights up until that point. I had to use craft paper to gradually add light every day. He was terrified. Now he's used to it. I imagine if they look up it must look like the light of creation to them.

I have a creek behind my house and it's pretty dim. Like everyone else says, there's usually shade from plants, trees, and whatnot and dark water. Very diffused light.

I always feel better in the dark when I'm sick actually. It's an interesting topic.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #24 
iamgian

Hm... sounds like I might need to get an actual cave for the fish. I got a little hut but a lot of light seems to be able to go through, guess it's back to the pet stores tomorrow! I'm also thinking about adding more fish to the aquarium, a betta and 3 catfish are fun to watch, especially with the catfish's mini olympics going on. Anybody have any suggestions on some other fun fish to add?
iamgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #25 
xxabc

Well it
1) Depends on your betta's personality. IMO it's not easy to see if they're okay with tank-mates. Just because they do not flare / seem nice / etc does not mean they will be exactly okay with tankmates.
2) Tank size.

What size is your tank?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #26 
iamgian

10 gallon tank, filtered and heated. I added a few albino cory catfish and they seem to get along. I'd like to add some more fish but seeing as how I'm a beginner fish owner... I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #27 
Mister Sparkle

Maybe a small school of neon/cardinal tetras? 3 or 4 ought to be manageable...but I think you might want to wait a few more days for your bio-filtration to catch up with the new load from your recently added catfish.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #28 
iamgian

I was actually thinking about getting those, but you're right, it'd probably be best to wait a few days before adding anymore fish. Thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #29 
xxabc

Albino cories are schooling fish, I'm pretty sure. How many have you added?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #30 
iamgian

I added three, may add one more.