Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #1 
shynryx3

im worried about my fish

i need help, my betta somehow got stuck in a decorative pot but got out, and he lost a bunch of scales along the top of his back so the flesh shows, what can i do about that?
also lately he has been floating vertical to the waters surface with his nose just touching the top, whats wrong with him?
shynryx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Well first remove that pot if you haven't done it already and plug up the hole so he doesn't get stuck again.

I wouldn't put any meds in the tank yet - just keep the water super clean and add a little aquarium salt to the new water based on the recommended dose for your size tank.

Don't overdo the salt, it doesn't dissipate so you'll always be adding more salt to water that is already salted.

Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #3 
bloo97

Hope he gets better! (:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #4 
kelly528

The VERY same thing happened to my fish a while ago... stupid pots!

Turn the tank lights off for a day or two to let him rest... knowing bettas he is probably a bit traumatized and is being very dramatic. My guy sulked on the bottom for a good three days.

Turn the heat up, keep the water extra clean (to prevent infection) and add 1 TBSP of aquarium salt per 5g if you have any on hand. Indian almond leaves will also help if you have any. Feeding him high-protein foods ie extra helpings of bloodworms will keep him interested in food and help him regenerate the broken skin.

Keep an eye out for infection (any gray spots or fuzz around the edges) but hold offf on the meds unless the wound actually gets infected.

By the end of the week he should be fine and healing nicely. My guy got over it in no time.

Good luck and don't let his drama throw you!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote