Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #11 
Starbright

Argh I KNOW!! >:O I pay for all of it too! I'm draining my bday/christmas money TT_TT My mom will never pay for ANY of it but my dad will.. too bad work has him gone till 9 or 10pm every day :/
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #12 
a123andpoof

I don't have quite that problem, but completely understand. My mom is starting to not like the idea of how much I want to spend on a betta. And she said 'Why don't you just get a bowl.' I just told her its my money I'll do what I want with it. Hopefully she lets me lol though she knows I really want it, so I think I shouldnt have to much problem, so yeah use your own money if you have it. I think it would make it much easier. That and I like the idea of mixing gravel, I was actually considering doing that with my tank when I get it XD
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #13 
bloo97

Quote:
And I'm even more terrified about the parents... "We bought you this gravel with our money! You're wasting our money! What's wrong with you! No more fish!!" Etc, etc, etc, etc. Haha...
Well, you could always earn more mony and say, "Mom, Dad I have money of my own! Now I can pay you back if you'll please buy it!

Basicly, they buy, you pay the money back to them. (:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #14 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I pay for all of my fish stuff. My dad will occasionally buy a fish for me if he's with me but that's it. You could always sell it online or keep it in bags. I don't throw away anything that I'll probably be using later on. You never know, you might want to go back to white.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #15 
herbwin

I would put it in a bucket and rinse it well, then spread it out in a pan or plastic tarp/wrap and let it dry in the sun/garage, and then store it.

You might want it later for another tank or bowl, you could also use it for potted plants/crafts.

If you don't want it, save it til yor parents forget then chunk it :)

I would doubt anyone would want to buy a small amount of used gravel, but 25-50 pounds maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #16 
1fish2fish

Why not just trade?

For instance, I'm short on cash but I think I'm going to need some Jungle Fungus Eliminator and Maracyn for the rescues (and Demetri who has fungal fin rot >.<).. so this weekend I'm going to mow the lawn, completely clean all the litter boxes, and do whatever else my mom wants in exchange for buying me the medicine (and a heater I hope).

Even when my parents are short on cash I can usually get a little by coming home and doing odd jobs.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #17 
kikuhoshi

I'm 19, live on campus, but only about 30 minutes from home due to a lack of car (I go home every weekend), and my mom will buy me whatever I need... My dad didn't understand my "obsession" ("it's just a fish" mentality), until my mother reminded him that a grandFISH is cheaper than a grandCHILD. :) Perhaps using that as a point would work for you?
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol, Yeah, a grandFISH is definitely cheaper than a grandCHILD.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #19 
xxabc

Me? Talk about grandchildren in front of the parents? I'm 15, that will bring me murder, LOL. When there's anything involving children/grandchildren, they get way out of line. They're those kind of parents... no boys! Haha. (But I have male bettas. Ooh, rebellious? Lol ;) )

Kiku - It's just a fish, it's just a fish... it's always the same thing over and over again! Lol

1f2f, if you mean trade by doing work for the parents, my parents only want me to study... they don't want me to get a job and "be distracted from my schoolwork." And my grades are pretty decent, the important part is to not let it drop, lol. I'll definitely find something though ... hmmmmm... man, my parents are crazy. lol! (shhhh)

Herbwin, I probably will use it later for something. I still have two 1/2gallons from a year or so ago (ahhh, the beginning of the betta hobby) that look like I can have fun with them. I have about 7-8 lbs of gravel in my 5 gallon tank. I am planning to get another tank over the summer... so I'll definitely try mixing the gravel once I get black gravel.

Bloo, they just flat out don't want me spending money! haha

a123, My mom is only content with my tank because she thinks it looks pretty. Hahaha, and my dad finds it soothing. But "another one? NO." Lol.

Starbright, my christmas money died on me long, long ago, LOL. My birthday has yet to come so I have to wait on that...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #20 
JKfish

With my hamster stuff (not fish stuff... yet, but that'll probably change soon ;) ) When I get something, then after a while decide I don't need/want it, I typically keep it in storage, and after a while, it does come in handy.

You could say something like "Mom, my fish is super stressed by the white gravel, and black gravel will relieve the stress, becuase betta fish in the wild are used to darker places. If I don't get black gravel, he'll become stressed and sick, and it'll cost even more to get the medicines and all that." ... I don't really know if it'd work, sometimes things like that would work with my mom, and technically, it's almost true. XD
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote