Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #1 
GiggleGoddess

Question 5 gallon tank...what filter to use?

I bought a five gallon aquarium & kit at walmart and it came w/ a filter and light and all that. It seems though that the filter is WAY to strong for Darius and it pushes him around alot. I've turned it off and still make sure to change the water once a week although the top of the tank water gets a milky film on it (any idea?). I don't know if this is from the water conditioner that has the BioExtract in it or what. I would like to find a filter though that will work well for my tank and not move the water too much. If anybody has any suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks!
GiggleGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Just make a baffle. :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=baffle

Easy peezy!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #3 
rlw

I buy these filters for my 2.5 and 5 gal tanks. The flow is gentle and it keeps my tanks clean. I love them...I have 12 at the moment.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3523858
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #4 
newfishmom

I baffeled mine. It's easy. Ziplock snack bag, put some marbles and a bit of water to weight it some, then tape it to the filter so it hangs over the outflow. My betta, Buster, wiggles his way behind the bag and zips down the flow though. But when it wasn't like this, it seemed like he was having problems too. Hope that helps.

I also have the same tank from Wal-Mart.
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #5 
Mongekyo Sharingan

suggesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleGoddess View Post
I bought a five gallon aquarium & kit at walmart and it came w/ a filter and light and all that. It seems though that the filter is WAY to strong for Darius and it pushes him around alot. I've turned it off and still make sure to change the water once a week although the top of the tank water gets a milky film on it (any idea?). I don't know if this is from the water conditioner that has the BioExtract in it or what. I would like to find a filter though that will work well for my tank and not move the water too much. If anybody has any suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks!
I suggest that you put Darius in a clear fish bowl, or get a ten gallon so that the filter wont push it around so much and it can have space to move.
Mongekyo Sharingan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter