Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #1 
BakaMandy

FISH FOOD: Check your labels!

Hey there guys, just dropping by quickly because I read something really upsetting!

CHECK THE INGREDIENTS IN THE FOOD YOU GIVE TO YOUR FISH AND LOOK FOR SOMETHING CALLED "ETHOXYQUIN".

While researching fish (more specifically Oscars because I'm thinking about setting up an Oscar tank) I found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Ethoxyquin is a quinoline based antioxidant used as a food preservative and a pesticide (under commercial names such as "Stop-Scald"). It is commonly used as a preservative in pet foods to prevent the rancidification of fats. There has been some speculation that ethoxyquin in pet foods might be responsible for certain health problems. To date, the US FDA has only found a verifiable connection between ethoxyquin and buildup of protoporphyrin IX liver, as well as elevations in liver-related enzymes in some animals. It has been shown to cause mortality in fish.

It is also commonly used in spices to prevent color loss due to oxidation of the natural carotenoid pigments.
I just quickly went through my fish food and found that my Nutrafin Max flakes contained it, so I'm probably going to stop using it. I was wondering why the health of my fish started to deteriorate whenever I started feeding them it... D:

I found a big article about it here.

Your thoughts?
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Wardley betta pellets has it. :o
I was probably going to switch back to Hikari pellets anyways.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 
xxabc

... D: I'm not going to be rash about this. I'm simply not going to risk it and going to cease all use of fish foods containing that thing. Why risk it? Meh.

Good reads. My Hikari Bio Gold Pellets doesn't have it. Nor my Topfin Freezedried Bloodworms (thank goodness).

Maybe you should post this in the Freshwater Aquarium, or some other large page, since it seems to pertain to more than just bettas.

My thoughts on it?

Why? I'd like to know why they put it in there. There must be some kind of reason for them to put ingredients linked to mortality in fish, directly into their food.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #4 
Kittles

This is an interesting topic and was brought up a few months ago here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=38112

It contains some interesting debate and opinions. Personally, even having read about this before, I've not changed my feeding habits. I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy a different source of food, though, that doesn't contain this pesticide whether it was a legitimate problem or not.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

this was argued on either this forum or my other forum a few months ago.. the way I see it there is going to be something in every single food you buy that can kill your fish... unless your going to only feed live foods you cultured yourself there is no way to get around preservatives.

I'd like to read the study done.. what levels did they give the fish of this ingredient that caused their mortality? The same level that is present in the fish food itself? How quickly did the fish die and can it be certain that this ingredient caused it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I also remember when this topic came up a while back. Thanks, Kittles, for posting the link to it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #7 
BakaMandy

Ah yeah defiantly missed that thread xD My visits here have been very inconsistent because real life keeps me busy and away Dx;

...Um well 8D;; it's good to bring attention to it again I guess? orz i fail... forgive me xD;

*reads other post* Hmm my Top Fin pellets don't say the contain any ethoxyquin... =v=;a
Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

Hmmm now that I think about it...

In my opinion, when I've read the effects of Ethoxyquin in other animals, I don't believe that it's not fatal to bettas even in the smallest amounts.

If I may share a bit of my own experience...

For a long time I fed my fish the Nutrafin Max flakes, and I had a lot of problems with my bettas, mostly a lot of bacterial infections, which was really frustrating because I do take proper take care of my fish with regular water changes and carefully monitored water conditions. It was like their immune systems were shot and they couldn't properly fight off illness themselves (which they usually can, given a strong immune system).

Finally I read stuff about fish vitamins and special ordered some and started feeding my fish Top Fin pellets (which I have read the ingredient list repeatedly and did not find Ethoxyquin as an ingredient) soaked in the vitamin formula (Boyd VitaChem fresh water formula). I saw a remarkable improvement during that period.

For example my one betta Shota who had severe fin rot for almost a year and was prone to relapses every couple days regardless of how clean his water was (I'd do a 100% water change every single day) made a complete recovery and didn't show signs of fin rot for months. Aros also was a similar case, his fins were deteriorating and he had a few cases of flexibactor and possibly internal bacterial infections (there was a period he wouldn't eat until I treated him with medicine) and have now regenerated and is fine.

However the last month or so I went back to the Nutrafin max flakes because I got too lazy to soak the pellets, and again I'm having problems. Aros and Shota have both gone off their feed and Aros has a case of pop eye that I'm having difficulty curing. Shota also just recently had a relapse with his fin rot as well.

And again I have to say that I TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF MY FISH. I'm very strict with water quality and often do water changes once or twice weekly. So I find it hard to believe that I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to the Top Fin soaked in VitaChem and see if that makes a difference again. But I really don't think that these problems I'm having are purely coincidental. If not feeding my fish things that contain ethoxyquin will improve their general health, I will gladly avoid it.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 04-12-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #9 
xxabc

Bakamandy, that's a pretty strong standpoint in your case. It'd be perfect to have someone who does have food containing Ethoxyquin with consistent feedings. I'm very interested to see how things go along a few weeks or months from now.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #10 
reaperss06

I'm going to find food that doesn't have it, I have had way too many fish die on me to risk this.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote