Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #1 
scififan523

Scififan's Regular Journal

Journal 1:

Within two months of moving, I have acquired 5 new glofish (since 4 of my original 5 died during the move )... and 3 1 gallon tanks (I know, bare min for tank size), 1 2.5 gallon, a 5.5 that I am cycling...but more on that later. Annnnndddddd two baby bettas (they have their own journal as I will be posting grow-up pics) Name:  025.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  26.3 KB Name:  4.18 (60).JPG
Size:  27.9 KB and two females. An orange with black markings VT named Kisa Name:  4.18 (63).JPG
Views: 193
Size:  29.2 KB and a currently unknown coloring type (to me...no idea what to call her colors) crowntail named Hatori. Ha'ri for short. Name:  4.18 (73).JPG
Size:  33.2 KB Had to rescue her. She was there the Friday I got Kisa, and when I went back to that Petsmart a week and a half later and she was still there. Goal for this summer is to set up a planted sorority tank, and maybe try to breed Kisa in August if I can find the right red, orange or yellow male. I bought two ten gallons during the $1 per gallon Petco sale. I'm not sure if this is a correct assumption, but I've notices a lot of small random bubbles all over the surface of Kisa's tank, and a couple around Ha'ri's, and both of their filters are baffled, so I think they are both happy, since I know that's a sign with males.

Okay weird thing of the week for me. I set my 5.5 up to cycle on Monday. I already have a 5 ppm reading of nitrAtes. I mean, I've been putting a couple of freeze dried bloodworms in every day (found a good use for them. Bought them when I got Kisa, but she refused to eat them, then saw all the problems they can cause ), and I added a couple squirts of that Tetra SafeStart stuff with the bacteria already started, but not near the suggested starting dose. My tap water does have a low level of nitrAtes in it, but I conditioned it with Prime, which is suppose to detox it. So confused . I'll monitor the levels for a couple more days before moving the babies in there. Still need to reinforce the DIY divider a bit anyways.

That ends this entry. Next one... probably have betta wish list

Last edited by scififan523; 04-18-2014 at 09:54 PM.
scififan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #2 
Eep Crood

Hatori looks like my friends betta.., he died two days ago :'(
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #3 
scififan523

I'm sorry to hear that. I really couldn't leave her in that store anymore. Every time I would go in she would be paler and less active. And she was so pretty the day I got Kisa. I think, I'm not sure but, I think her coloring is "wild color"
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #4 
scififan523

Journal 2

I feel like my journal will slow down/ be irregular when it comes to posts. Almost going to treat this as my fish/animal related diary (lke Birbiglia's secret public journal). Just type as things come to mind. Like Luna is fascinated with watching the bettas, especially Kisa, but she never tries to do anything. Like, if I have the top of, she'll drink the aquarium water, but she won't try to pursue the fish. I think she just likes watching them. Doesn't necessarily see them as prey. Cause Luna is a hunter. Almost caught a bat in the air once. But I digress.

L1 and L2 are settling in nicely. Hopefully this makes things a little easier (like temperature and such). Kisa's still my fierce little girl. But Ha'ri is starting to recognize the sound of the door when I get home from work. Greeted by the cat sneaking out into the hallway , then I look up and Ha'ri is doing her "look at me, feed me" quick swim at the side of the tank facing the door. She also flares at almost everything, and I noticed Saturday that she has breeding bars... and they still haven't gone away. Wonder if she can see Kisa across the room and think Kisa is a male. Oh well, Hatori has darkened up to her healthy color, and the little white patches I saw on her pectorals were just the areas that were trying to grow. They're gone now.

Lost my one surviving adult glofish. Had her for 9 months. Woke up this morning and she was floating at the top, and my new pink doesn't look to good either. Oh well, when these die, I'll deep clean their tank and set it up for someone else to use.

Okay Betta Fish Wish List (mostly for Sohma Sorority):
Yellow (either body or fins) or Chocolate DeT, HM, or DT female - Momiji
White with black markings female - Hatsuharu
Red with black butterfly male VT or DT - Kyoto
Marble (any color or tail type) female - Tohru
Pastel or white or silver (any tail) female - Yuki
Orange or Cambodian combtail or CT female - Kyo
Dark bodied female with extreme CT (either cross ray or multi-ray) - Isuzu "Rin"
Green female - Hiro
Royal blue bicolor female - Ritzu
Black (or dark tail) and red bicolor female - Shigure
Dragonscale green or pale female - Ayame "Aya"
multicolor VT female - Kagura
Dark iridescence CT female - Kureno
I also want an Akito (male DeT or higher spread) but I don't know what color
Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #5 
scififan523

Journal 3

Okay, this will be a rant entry. Start off, everybody is fine, check out the baby journal for growth comparison for the little guys. Lost one of the new glofish this week, but when they are gone, that means I can rescue an orange or yellow male, so glass half something about it. I think I saw one of Kisa's spawnmates/ siblings. Exact same marking on the tail, male veil tail, close to the same orange coloring. Oh well, no open tank at the moment.

And, time for the rant. WHAT THE F*** PETCO!!!?! SERIOUSLY! So many of the bettas at the Petco that I dislike (but they are the ones who get babies in regularly, so I have to check every now and then) had bloat, it wasn't even funny. Some had pellets sitting on the lids of their cups. One looked like he had swallowed a marble, his stomach was so big. He couldn't do anything but float at the top of his cup. He tried to swim lower. He failed. This really pissed me off. Another was side floating (again with a huge stomach). So wished I had brought a post-it note pad with me. Because I couldn't get anyone's attention to point it out, would have left notes on all the cups with things like "Please do not feed me for 24 hours. I'm bloated and need to poop before I am fed again, otherwise I can't swim." A couple needed a "please give me a water change, it's getting hard to breathe in here." I've seen them in bad shape before, but this was ridiculous. Pretty sure if I went back tomorrow, 1/3 would not be there anymore, and not because they were sold. So ANGRY!

End of rant.

Here is my cat Luna with her favorite toy:
Name:  4.27 (2).JPG
Views: 139
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #6 
scififan523

Journal 3

Really, really need to stop going into pet stores on fish shipment days. Petsmart had an orange male VT and a pure white HM male that they had just gotten in today. Wanted them so bad... and will probably get the white and put him with my glofish danios in their five gallon if he's still there tomorrow. Such a beauty.

Next pay check is going into finishing my 10 gallon, buying plants for it, and getting materials for a DIY stand, so I can get it cycling for my sorority. After that... birthday money to be spent on a 20 gallon... either for a grow out tank, or to use as a sorority tank... will it work as a cycled tank if I just move everything (including water, filter material, etc.) over to the 20 gallon? Or will that have to cycle separately? And will a having two 10 gallons work for breeding, one for spawning, one for partial grow out (keeping the slower growing ones in spawn tank) until jarring? What will happen if I breed Kisa (orange VT) with a white HM? I'll post in the breeding section. Also need to get a couple of Nerite snails. I think I might actually have one that was sold to me as a golden mystery snail. We'll see if he eats my anubias that's floating in L2's side
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #7 
scififan523

Journal 5

Okay, the giant bubble group wasn't him. But there is a teeny tiny nest under one of the leaves of his anubias plant. And in other news, I caved and bought the pure white male. Meet Yue:
Name:  5 (37).JPG
Views: 112
Size:  29.2 KB

He is living with my 4 Glofish (Inky Blinky Clyde and Pacman, Pinky was the one who passed shortly after my 6 month old glofish did) in their 5 gallon. No problems between them so far, he loves the room.
Name:  5 (11).JPG
Views: 113
Size:  41.5 KB Name:  5 (13).JPG
Size:  38.2 KB Name:  5 (16).JPG
Size:  27.9 KB
And Luna likes the tank's new placement.

Algae outbreak in Kisa's tank, so she currently in blackout as I try to kill this thing off. Ha'ri's water has cleared, the oily film on the babies is dissipating, and I got a sponge that actually fits inside their filter and have slowed their current way down. They seem happier about it.

Luna has discovered live catnip. Still prefers dried sprinkled on her towel. And eating oat grass, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Signing off:
Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #8 
scififan523

Journal 6

Yay for being worked half to death. Also, Mother Nature's bipolar disorder is kicking my butt. Stupid pollen. Everybody else is doing great. Starting to get my 10 gallon divided and set up for my boys. Also, have almost everything gathered for a breeding attempt in June. Just need fry food, a lid, and a lot more mason jars. Maybe a couple more shrimp? Oh, bought 2 ghost shrimp. Had them acclimating in a container in the teens tank, and they both escaped... one on each side... not sure how the one got around the divider, but there it is.

I now have a new house mate. His name is Sirius and he is my foster fish.
Name:  5.12 (4).JPG
Views: 100
Size:  33.8 KB. My sister is moving into an apartment that doesn't allow tanks or cages (but you can have a cat or small dog), so he's with me for at least a year, possibly more. But he will have regular video calls from his mom. He is a rescued convict cichlid (hence the name "Sirius"). He was brought into the PetCo were she worked without the long streamers on his fins. His tank mate (an oscar) had gotten bigger than him and became a bully. So Kylie took him to help keep her guppies under control. Didn't happen for a couple of months, but eventually he started hunting them. Luna loves watching him, and he has arranged his tank to watch her from hiding.

Kisa and Hatori are still good. Ha'ri flares at everything, and Kisa is upset because she gets limited light time. Had an algae outbreak. Once I get the 10 gallon for the boys set up, the girls will move into the 5.5 the teens are in until I find enough females to set up a 20 or 29 gallon sorority. ...and after that, I can use the 5.5 as a petco baby grower :).
Name:  5.12 (1).JPG
Views: 99
Size:  26.7 KBName:  5.12 (2).JPG
Size:  27.8 KB

Yue is fine as well, but I think he is starting to get tired of the hyperactive danios. And the teens are good. Currently, they are both showing themselves as males. I can see the double tail's stomach and swim bladder, but no ovaries, and lilnaugrim agreed that he is a boy. Name:  5.11 (2).JPG
Size:  24.1 KB
So unless either of them are a late bloomer, their names are Uotani "Uo" (blue and red VT [pretty sure anyway]) and Hanajima "Hana" (DT with bluish-purple irids).
Name:  5.12 (3).JPG
Size:  35.7 KB Name:  5.12 (8).JPG
Size:  28.9 KB Name:  5.12 (5).JPG
Size:  22.9 KB Name:  5.12 (9).JPG
Size:  31.4 KB

Hi over there
Name:  5.12 (6).JPG
Size:  31.7 KB

Who, me?
Name:  5.12 (7).JPG
Size:  30.2 KB

And yes, I bought Uo a glitter lamp to look at. And it's helped. He doesn't pace the front of the tank as much when I sit down anymore.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #9 
BettaLover1313

You have so many beautiful fish! I didn't realize you had another journal until I read the post in your baby betta journal today.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #10 
scififan523

Yeah, this one is kind of a whenever I feel like it about what ever I feel like journal. And thank you, I love them all. My family thinks that I have a problem, I got all of them within the two months after my move.