Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #11 
myprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwong27 View Post
I'm using two types: Fluval Plant Subtrate and Fluval Shrimp Substrate. When I decided I wanted to plant the tank I became OBSESSED with this YouTube channel for a UK aquascaping company. (http://youtu.be/wZDexLMZFrU ) They frequently use a finer dirt over a coarser dirt, and I personally really like the overall look. I also have some plain aquarium sand in the cube with the Buddha.

Not currently using any CO2 or fertilizer; hoping the surface agitation takes care of the CO2 exchange and the super substrate is enough for the plants for now. I may begin to liquid CO2, if it looks like I need it.

Both of the local aquarium stores I'm lucky to have stock them. Neither has water lettuce that I've seen. Hyacinth is restricted in some states in the U.S. because it likes to invade waterways, so I don't know how much luck you'll have finding it in your area. I'm from California and I still managed to find it in an area where things like that are really sensitive subjects.

Google found me these:
> liveaquaria.com
> lilyblooms.com

Good luck!

I wonder if the gravel that I mixed with my substrant is hurting me. Maybe I should try some root tabs?
myprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #12 
cmwong27

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprince View Post
I wonder if the gravel that I mixed with my substrant is hurting me. Maybe I should try some root tabs?
I know the stuff I bought specified to not mix it with other things. I'm considering root tabs for the micro sword at the bottom to encourage carpeting, but I think I'm still going to wait a week to see how it goes.
cmwong27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #13 
cmwong27

Well I have some good news, some bad news, some more bad news, and then I guess some regular news.

Good news: I think I've finally figured out how to get photographs to publish within the text, so no more long strings of photographs.

Bad news: On Monday, Ares shredded the tip of his tail and his dorsal in what I guess was the filter intake. It happened sometime during a FIFA game. He was fine at the beginning, shredded by the end.

Name:  web_14-06-16_shreddedfins.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  44.8 KB
My poor boy.

You can see the difference from the first photograph I posted. Because it's not a clean cut and all appears to be the same length, it looks like it was sucked off the end. Has anyone seen similar damage? Or does anyone know how to prevent damage like this in the future? The best I can think to do is grate the intake like I see at some stores, but I don't know exactly what material to use, nor how to attach it.

More bad news: Ares has ich. I'm pretty sure it's my fault too for not quarantining the plants for long enough. I suspected it on Monday when I was inspecting his tail and dorsal, but I only saw one spot. By Tuesday morning, he had them all over his fins and body.

Name:  web_14-06-17_ICH.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  25.4 KB
I darkened the photograph around the identifiable white spots to highlight them.

I've decided to medicate with Kordon Rid-Ich+. My local fish store stocks a few different brands, but they said this is the one they use, and I definitely trust them. I did a 25% water change and then dosed my 5-gallon tank with 2.5 mL (or half a teaspoon) as directed. Ares looks a lot better today, but I may be imagining it. I'll be sure to keep medicating for a few days after the white spots disappear. (Kill the tomites! Kill them dead! )

News: I also did a water test this morning.

Name:  web_14-06-18_watertest.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  52.2 KB

I'm reading:
pH - 6.8
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

I had to replace the ammonia #2 bottle that came with the API test kit, because it didn't come with the dropper bit for some reason. I'm not good enough to eyeball 8 drops so... But while I was at the store for my Rid-Ich and replacement test, I picked up three of these guys.

Name:  web_14-06-18_shrimp.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  32.2 KB
Red cherry shrimp.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #14 
myprince

Quote:
I know the stuff I bought specified to not mix it with other things. I'm considering root tabs for the micro sword at the bottom to encourage carpeting, but I think I'm still going to wait a week to see how it goes.
Oh wow. Maybe that's my problem right there. I mixed my substrant with gravel. Damn.. I'll have to redo it.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #15 
myprince

Quote:
Well I have some good news, some bad news, some more bad news, and then I guess some regular news.

Good news: I think I've finally figured out how to get photographs to publish within the text, so no more long strings of photographs.

Bad news: On Monday, Ares shredded the tip of his tail and his dorsal in what I guess was the filter intake. It happened sometime during a FIFA game. He was fine at the beginning, shredded by the end.

Attachment 376074
My poor boy.

You can see the difference from the first photograph I posted. Because it's not a clean cut and all appears to be the same length, it looks like it was sucked off the end. Has anyone seen similar damage? Or does anyone know how to prevent damage like this in the future? The best I can think to do is grate the intake like I see at some stores, but I don't know exactly what material to use, nor how to attach it.

More bad news: Ares has ich. I'm pretty sure it's my fault too for not quarantining the plants for long enough. I suspected it on Monday when I was inspecting his tail and dorsal, but I only saw one spot. By Tuesday morning, he had them all over his fins and body.

I darkened the photograph around the identifiable white spots to highlight them.

I've decided to medicate with Kordon Rid-Ich+. My local fish store stocks a few different brands, but they said this is the one they use, and I definitely trust them. I did a 25% water change and then dosed my 5-gallon tank with 2.5 mL (or half a teaspoon) as directed. Ares looks a lot better today, but I may be imagining it. I'll be sure to keep medicating for a few days after the white spots disappear. (Kill the tomites! Kill them dead! )

News: I also did a water test this morning.

I'm reading:

pH - 6.8

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 0 ppm

I had to replace the ammonia #2 bottle that came with the API test kit, because it didn't come with the dropper bit for some reason. I'm not good enough to eyeball 8 drops so... But while I was at the store for my Rid-Ich and replacement test, I picked up three of these guys.

Red cherry shrimp.

I have never seen the red cherry shrimp. I think my local aquarium store is lacking in a lot of things. I'm starting to get a little jealous.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #16 
cmwong27

Quote:
I have never seen the red cherry shrimp. I think my local aquarium store is lacking in a lot of things. I'm starting to get a little jealous.
Ha. I live right on the coast...but I don't know if that's relevant to aquarium how good the aquarium supplies is...

I go back an forth between two local aquariums stores -- one specializes in aquariums, terrariums and birds, but not furry friends; the other specializes in aquariums and...hot tubs.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #17 
myprince

Quote:
Ha. I live right on the coast...but I don't know if that's relevant to aquarium how good the aquarium supplies is...

I go back an forth between two local aquariums stores -- one specializes in aquariums, terrariums and birds, but not furry friends; the other specializes in aquariums and...hot tubs.

Hot tubs? That is a little odd. I go through a place called Noah's Ark, which specializes in all small pets (including rabbits, birds, turtles, small selection of fish, and hamsters) and then I have an awful Petco. Which I try to avoid Petco as much as possible. Petco's employees are just not correctly informed, prices are sometimes outrageous, and their animals are always in such bad health. However, sometimes I can get cheap filters and heaters at Petco. I've gotten sick guppies (I bread them for my False Map Turtle) that have recently killed my whole stock of guppies. Except two of my best constant prego females and the fry they both just pushed out about a week ago.

So I do have experience with fry, just not betta fry. I don't even think Prince has really created a bubble nest... How do you start to influence them to make a bubble nest?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #18 
cmwong27

Quote:
and then I have an awful Petco. Which I try to avoid Petco as much as possible. Petco's employees are just not correctly informed, prices are sometimes outrageous, and their animals are always in such bad health. However, sometimes I can get cheap filters and heaters at Petco.
Yeah...I have a PetCo. It's attached to the local mall (which also hosts a Walmart, TJ Maxx, Ross and formerly a Dollar Tree ). I went there for a lot of start up supplies -- tank, hose, net, decoration. I got my substrate, plants and fish from the LFS.

Quote:
So I do have experience with fry, just not betta fry. I don't even think Prince has really created a bubble nest... How do you start to influence them to make a bubble nest?
I've never really influenced him. The most I could say is I put a lot of effort into making sure the surface water was still enough in at least one part of the tank. He's also got a pretty high-protein diet...but so does Prince so...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #19 
cmwong27

All of the white spots from the ich have cleared up. Ares is enjoying his off day of medication today as well. Tomorrow it's back to water changes and meds for another few days to make sure the parasites are completely gone.

I had to go back to the fish store again today. Yesterday I dropped the bottle of Rid-Ich+ all over the floor. Luckily Ares lives in my bathroom, and my bathroom lives in a rental and has a linoleum floor. It's still a pretty spectacular blue spot. I may post a photograph. One ounce goes...everywhere.

I also picked up two more cherry shrimp, 'cause y'know...reasons.

As for new personality quirks, my boyfriend discovered that he can puff his cheeks at the tank and Ares will flare back every time. I'll try to take a video, or at least a photograph, and post it here.

Anyway, I realized I haven't posted a side view of the tank. Hard to believe it's 5 gallons from this view
sometimes .

Name:  web_14-06-15.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  35.9 KB
Few days old, but still a great view.

> I've managed to trim and replant some of the ludwigia.
> The moneywort in the back managed to become completely uprooted. Don't know if it was the current or Ares playing in the dirt.
> There's a few bright green tips among the java moss
> The micro sword has new green leafs but it hasn't started to stretch its roots yet that I can see.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #20 
cmwong27

Post Steve, Steve, Steve, Steve, and Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby

Steve died.

I should explain. I made the mistake of thinking I could tell my five cherry shrimp apart. My friend insisted I attempt to name them. After one molted, I decided I was very wrong and declared that I would name all of my current and future shrimp "Steve" -- after a female spider I kept as a pet in a jar when I was a kid.

However my boyfriend insisted I name one of them after "Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby" from Borderlands 2...which we co-op together. (Side note: we are SOOO excited for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. He will probably go for Claptrap, but I'm all about Nisha the Lawbringer. Sure, she eventually starts dating Handsome Jack, but Moxxi did once.)

Can see the tiny insect-like varkid inside Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby?

Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby is much darker than the other Steves. I'm fairly sure s/he is a sakura shrimp instead of a cherry. My boyfriend said I have to make sure this one lives.

So I don't know what killed Steve. The other Steves and Reggie are still doing fine in the tank. I did a water change just in case of...anything. I've heard that a high or low amount of "total dissolved solids" can affect the shrimps' ability to molt properly. But I've had two molt so far, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with any of them.

Ares is still showing signs of ich. I'm a little worried because I have plans to go out of towns next week. His tank is getting dosed regularly now, and he's still getting 25%+ water changes. Should I try to do more? Can I add salt to a tank already being medicated? Should I increase the temperature?

I was actually worried for the last couple of days because Ares seemed to be frustrated/struggling with a nest. But tonight he gave me this:

Name:  Ares_13.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  42.9 KB
If you look closely, you can see the bubble he's just released.

So I guess my little guy is doing just fine.

Tags
5 gallon, ares, fluval, new aquarium, planted tank