Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #21 
DaytonBetta

I would increase the temperature gradually to 86 degrees. Keep up the water changes, cleaning the gravel when you siphon. Ich is a pain,but you can beat it! Be sure to keep treatment going once he looks clear.

Are the shrimp in the ich tank? I don't know if they will tolerate the medicine or the increased temperature.
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #22 
myprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwong27 View Post
I know the stuff I bought specified to not mix it with other things. I'm considering root tabs for the micro sword at the bottom to encourage carpeting, but I think I'm still going to wait a week to see how it goes.
I put my first root tabs down.. I have never used them before and I put one directly underneath my Amazon Sword. Which I found out I was not supposed to do. I had no idea they where carpeting plants.
myprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #23 
cmwong27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonBetta View Post
Are the shrimp in the ich tank? I don't know if they will tolerate the medicine or the increased temperature.
The shrimp have been in a separate tank. The spots have fully cleared up. How many more days do you think I should treat?

My process: 1) Remove Ares from tank. 2) Vacuum substrate and drain 25-50% of the water. 3) Mix full dose for 5 gallons into first addition of water. 4) Slowly add unmedicated water to fill the tank to 5 gallons. 5) Re-introduce Ares.

My hope is that there is a brief period in the tank when there is a higher concentration of the medication that will kill more of the parasites and not overdose my fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprince View Post
I put my first root tabs down.. I have never used them before and I put one directly underneath my Amazon Sword. Which I found out I was not supposed to do. I had no idea they where carpeting plants.
I haven't put my root tabs in yet, but I have them sitting in a cabinet. Is your Amazon Sword okay? I...I didn't know the could carpet either.
cmwong27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:40 AM   #24 
cmwong27

Post Two weeks!

So now is when I confess that I photograph my tank on a nightly basis. I really want to be able to see how the growth progresses.

I apologize for the different angles and white balances.

Right now I'm looking to increase the density of the plants. The ludwigia grows tall fairly quickly under my LEDs -- a lot faster than the moneywort. I've cut and replanted a few clippings in the front left corner, which is why it gets shorter and denser. I pulled a lot of dead root off the hyacinth, because it looked like it was growing water mold. It's been doing even better since.

There's going to be a week gap for photographs. I leave for the San Francisco Bay Area on Sunday, and will not be returning for a week. Ares' last day of medication will be the day I leave. He cleared up yesterday, so I hope a couple of more days of meds will be enough to kill the remaining parasites. I am very scared that I will come home to a dead fish though.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #25 
cmwong27

( double post)

Last edited by cmwong27; 06-28-2014 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #26 
DaytonBetta

Have a good trip! I think it will probably be ok. Did you increase the temperature? That speeds up the life cycle of ich, and if it's high enough can kill it.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #27 
cmwong27

Post ...aaand we're back! pt. 1

Hello again!

Sorry for the late posts. This will probably be a series actually (but with pictures!) I assure you that we did get back on Sunday evening as planned. Ares is alive and ich free. His tail and dorsal fin are looking fantastic as well.

I feel compelled to share this texting exchange that happened between myself, my boyfriend and my friend. I am in red, my boyfriend is in green, and my very confused friend (who also owns a betta, but is new to fishkeeping) is in blue.
The conversation starts four days, after we left and had driven 300 miles south for vacation.

Name:  web_14-07-03.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  32.4 KB
My friend had never heard of time-release feeders.

I realized the other day when I was leaving that I've not shown where Ares' tank is located in my apartment. It's...in the bathroom. I live in a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath rental -- with one bathroom upstairs. We felt it was the most appropriate location because it makes sure Ares gets frequent visits; it also is something to look at while...y'know.

Name:  web_14-06-29_btwbathroom.jpg
Size:  52.7 KB
Ares, God of the Bathroom

I've also not yet posted a photograph of the mods I've made to my Fluval Spec V tank. Like most betta owners, I've found that the filtration pump is far too strong. I've got multiple cuts in the tubing to reduce the flow as well as a water bottle baffle. After the "shredding incident" I've wedged my aquarium tools through the plastic handle on the filter so the top of the sponge is well above the surface of the water -- preventing Ares from getting his fins sucked in.

Name:  web_14-06-29_filtersetup.jpg
Size:  28.7 KB

So far these mods to my Fluval have worked for me as a betta owner.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:43 AM   #28 
cmwong27

Post ...aaand we're back! pt. 2 Vacation Photographs

So yeah...this also happened.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #29 
cmwong27

...aaand we're back! pt. 3 The Return

Now I have to admit, while Ares was alive and well. I had a few more Steves die on me. I'm feeling a little guilty, 'cause I don't think I gave the shrimp enough food for the week. Fortunately(?), those that survived cannibalized their fallen companions. However, when I tested their water I got this:
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.50 ppm
Nitrite - 1.5 ppm
Nitrate - 2.5 ppm
I decided to transfer the shrimp to Ares' tank (pH - 7.0; Ammonia - 0.25 ppm; Nitrite - 0 ppm; Nitrate - 0 ppm). He'll chase them every time he sees them, but they are sooo fast that I don't think it will be a huge problem.I know Ares has cornered Sir Reginald von Bartlesby a few times now, but he doesn't look like he's lost any limbs. He and the Steves have taken to hiding behind the rocks in the back corner.

Since his last water change, Ares has (of course) been building back up his bubble nest. Here's some photographs of his latest one. It's actually his current record for size. I'm really quite proud.

Name:  web_14-07-08_bubblenest.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  web_14-07-08_bubblenesttop.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  64.0 KB
Current size record for Ares' bubble nest.

Anyway, because I lost a few Steves, I decided to go to my local fish store on Monday to replace them. This is the main reason it's taken me so long to update my journal. While Fin n' Feather (my LFS) doesn't tend to stock things for furry pets, it does have an area for kitten adoptions. When we went in on Monday, the most beautiful Siamese kitten got our attention, and the next thing you know we got the adoption bug.

My boyfriend has been looking to get a new companion of his own for the past several months. We've been bouncing around a new puppy, kitten or bearded dragon. The previous cat of the household moved out with the ex-roommate 2 years ago.

So...we applied to adopt the Siamese, a skittish female born to a feral mother. But we also applied for a long-haired tuxedo male too just in case, because he melts in your arms and purrs like a dream.

But then we found out that the Siamese and tuxedo have had multiple parties interested in adopting them, and after searching around we found a silver tabby polydactyl female from another local shelter that hasn't had any applicants. We applied to adopt her as well.

We haven't heard back on any of the paperwork for any of them, but our fingers are crossed that we get approved. Right now we are looking to get the polydactyl tabby because the other two have a lot of interest.

We're thinking about naming her Athena. Do you sense a theme?

I have a fondness for Greek mythology; I have since middle school. I also told my boyfriend about Athena vs. Arachne -- a myth about weaving and spiders, and now he can't think of a cat with that many toes having any other name.

Not our kitty, but VERY similar.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #30 
DaytonBetta

I hope you get the cat that is the perfect one for you!

I love the idea of an aquarium in the bathroom. I may have to consider that.

Tags
5 gallon, ares, fluval, new aquarium, planted tank