Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

How do YOU treat fin rot?

So one of my rescues, Big Red, has obvious fin rot of some sort.. I can't see any black edges or any other anomalies but I don't think his tail was shortened by biting..

here's a pic:

I know its not very clear.. I have some better ones I'll be able to hopefully put up tomorrow.

Anyways.. I tried searching the forum for how other users have combated fin rot but apparently fin and rot are too common to search for. I'm just looking into different treatment options.

Right now I'm treating in a 1.8 gallon plastic tub with 1 tsp aquarium salt, hydor mini heater with temp at 77*F (just until my other heaters arrive) and daily water changes. I've only ever dealt with small cases of fin rot so I'm wondering if I'm going to need something stronger.

So for those of you who have combated fin rot (NOT biting) and had good results.. what did you do/use?

Also.. do ya think his dorsal will unclamp? I'm not too worried about it I'm just wondering.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #2 
klingcam

I am on the same journey and in the process of finding a solution. However, everyone seems to agree that a 10 day treatment (no more) with aquarium salt is helpful. No one seems to keen on using chemical medicines. I've also heard that IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) in the tank gives off beneficial tannins that Bettas love. Trying to find some IAL locally (not in Thailand or other far east locations) so that I can act on this quickly. I already did the daily water changes, and treated with aquarium salt, and my fish's overall health and activity level is much better. But his fins are still looking a bit spindly. Hope this helps. Good luck to you and your fishy.
klingcam is offline   Reply With Quote