Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #1 
tahbi

White dots

Hello,

I noticed about yesterday or the day before yesterday that my betta has tiny white dots on his body, near his head. And also on his tail is where there's a lot more. They're really tiny, but large enough for the human eye to see. Yesterday I thought they were just bubbles that stuck to him because I was doing a water change and he was curious and getting close to the pitchers that I was taking the water out with. So I just thought it was really small bubbles on him, but now I'm getting worried. :( Does he possibly have a disease? I'll try to get pictures.
tahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #2 
tahbi

I noticed most, if not all, of my 6 neons have some dots too. Not as many as my betta though.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #3 
tahbi

Here's a picture. Circled the dots in yellow. http://i39.tinypic.com/jz8z60.jpg
Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #4 
tahbi

After reading some threads here and researching on the net, I think he has Ich/Ick. :[ Poor guy is swimming around erratically and trying to itch his tail on the live plant I have in the tank, and is sticking mainly to the sides of the tank. Looks like he's trying to itch himself.

Can anyone help me with treating him and his tank buddies? He's in a 10 gallon tank with 6 neon tetras (who all have the white dots on them too, not as many as Orphan though), and a Chinese Algae Eater. I changed 25% of the water Friday. Water temperature is usually anywhere from 75 to 83 degrees, but mainly sticks to 78 or 82 degrees. I don't really have any way to adjust the heat. I have a heater but it's automatic. I don't have any medication for the fish but I'm going wednesday to get more live plants and another betta, so I can pick up some aquarium salts and whatever else he needs then. Hope that helps. Can anyone help?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #5 
tahbi

Anyone? :( I noticed a lot of the dots are going away. The neons don't have any on them anymore.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #6 
CodeRed

Is it a cycled tank?
I think I've heard that when the ich goes away, they're dropping off to reproduce. Right now, salt baths, warm water, and maybe a bit of medication would help. I'm not sure what to do with the neons, but I believe right now is the time when you have to clean out the tank well to kill off the ich. That might be hard to do if it's a cycled tank, though. I'm sorry I can't be more help. All of my tanks are uncycled.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #7 
TigerLily

I've had to treat ich in one of my tanks before too, and after looking it up online there seemed to be two easy things to do to help get rid of it.

-Add some salt to the water. Ich has a hard time surviving with salt in the environment. Second, turn up the temperature a few degrees. A couple of sites pointed out that Ich does not do well in warmer water, and I can't say for certain how true these facts may be...but, I do know that doing both of these things cleared up the problem right away without having to resort to chemical medication.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #8 
tahbi

Alright, thanks guys. :)

My tank is uncycled. I plan on getting the water at least tested soon though. Hopefully I'll remember wednesday to bring in a water sample. And ouch, I hope they're not reproducing. But I have two more days and then I can get the salt!

I can't adjust my heaters unfortunately. :( But I'll try to keep my room warmer (if it gets any warmer though I might have a heatstroke haha). But thanks! I'll be sure to do some salt baths until I see it's gone. Do you add salt everyday?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #9 
zoragen

I'm fighting a bad case right now. I tried Jungle Ick Clear for 2 weeks & just switched to API Super Ick Cure.

I've raised the temp to 83 & I've been changing 25% of the water before each dose.

I use 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon which is the "medicinal" dose.

It's a cycled tank w/ plants.

I've had Sir Fins for 6 months - he's been great - all water parameters stable & I do water changes every week.

So I don't know what I did wrong!! There have been no additions for almost 3 months (last time I added plants).

He's in a 6 gal eclipse - no other tank mates.

He's active & eating well. Just has spots that look like salt - that clear from one place & appear somewhere else.

So now I'm soaking his food in garlic - which he seems to like & hoping for the best.

Most of the posts I've read on ICH it seems to clear up pretty easily.

This just won't go away!!
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #10 
tahbi

Hope your betta is cured soon, zoragen!

The pet store didn't have any salt. :( They only had this "Betta Revive" stuff that I don't even know how to use! It says 1 drop per 16 flo. oz. of water. My tank is a 10g. So how many drops? I wasn't very good at this stuff. :P

Tags
betta, disease