Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 
newfiedragon

Question Tetra Whisper heater in 1.5g tanks

I've noticed a lot of people use this heater (see pic) in their 1.5g Tetra tanks. Do they work well in these tanks? I'm asking because the box says 2-15g, so I don't want to overheat my tank.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

I've got them in two different two gallon tanks.

The 2-15 gallon rating has to do with the expected lifetime and the wattage of the heater, so I'd be careful to watch it doesn't over-heat the water in the 1.5g. From experience most of them SHOULD be fine in a 1.5 if you don't have much decoration, stones or other water displacing items. If you do have a lot of gravel and ornaments I'd suggest you look into either a smaller adjustable heater (by wattage) or using a fixed temperature heater of much lower output.

The way the heaters work is that they use the engineering specifications and turn off when the inside reaches a specific temperature... once they turn off they wait to cool off to another temperature before turning on. The surprising bit is the turn-off ISN'T at "78" degrees. In some units its as high as 100 degrees. All of these older style heaters are designed to heat up and then let the latent heat inside them warm the tank the rest of the way.

Newer heaters have remote thermistors that work along the upper section of the body, that's why they have sections with and without the heating element.

If you're worried about the temp and looking in that price range, Penn Plax has a small heater with adjustable setting designed for 5g to 10g that can be relied on to safely heat as small as 1 gallon as long as the unit is upright.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I had that in a 5 gallon and it would barely keep the temp above 72. I put it in a 3 gallon and it stays a little warmer - about 74. It's supposed to be preset to 78 but i have yet to see it ever go above 75
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #4 
newfiedragon

Well, I have a 15w hydor mini-heater (5-10g) that I could use, but I'm concerned about using that one in my 1.5g because it doesn't shut off. I have the 7.5w mini-heater in another 1.5g tank, and it works 'fairly' well. I'd get another one of those, but they don't sell them here in Newfoundland. I bought it at Big Al's in Ontario when I was on vacation last year.

The problem is that I can't really afford to get a low wattage heater because I find that, especially here in Newfoundland, they're really expensive. The Marina compact 10w heater (preset), is about $30 (Canadian). I bought one on sale last week for my female betta's 1.5g tank, and I can't really afford to buy another one. The 25w Tetra heater is only $12.

I'm considering taking the 10w one out of my female's tank and putting it in my new fish's tank, since she didn't seem to mind it being too cool and was really active without it, but my new guy has gone all blah and hardly swimming at all since I put him in his tank, which I find the male bettas do if they don't have heat. He was really active last night when I put him in, and today he's barely moving.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote