Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 
kingb

decided to spoil my betta and got him this.

i got my betta the zoomed hammock and the exercise mirror and he seems to like them, i bought them off ebay at a great price each. anyway, since i put in the little leaf hammock my betta has been spending most of his time just resting on it. the mirror description said it would help him exercise his fins so i think it works since he seemed to swim about really fast up and down the stopping to take a look at himself in it, though you can only leave it in the tank for 5 minutes or so.

kingb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #2 
Kittles

Careful with the betta hammock. Many users have pointed out that the base of the leaf where it fits into the suction cup begins to rust rather quickly.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I have that mirror... I love it.. its great if you have multiple fish and don't want to waste an hour holding a mirror up to each of their tanks. Just make sure you don't leave the mirror in the tank too long. I forgot to take it out one night and the next morning my boy's tail was blown from over flaring...
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #4 
kingb

thanks, i'll be careful and check the leaf from time to time. i'll also be careful with the mirror and not leave it in the tank for more than 10 minutes a day.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #5 
Min

I have both & my guys luv them.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 
Tinman23

I had one of those mirrors and heard from our local breeder that it only stresses out the bettas. Apparently they get more than enough exercise by swimming about exploring and going abou their daily lives. As for the hammock, as said above just watch for rust.
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think using a mirror will cause too much stress unless it's used for extended periods of time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #8 
Mitsufishi

<3 the mirror..still waiting to get some for my boys. I usually just put a compact up so they can get a little exercise. As for the leaf hammock, i had one in Russell tank for about a month with no rusting but i took it out because I actually think the point of the leaf tore his fin. Its the only thing possible that couldve done it.
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #9 
kingb

my betta loves em both and he spends most of his time on the hammock but yesterday i noticed some light scratches on his forehead and i guess the only thing that could have done this was the hammock cuz the other stuff in his tank's been there since i got it. i'll be more careful, i dont want him to poke out his eye or something.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

not really seeing how flaring = exercise. I think it's just good for them to feel that "their territory" matters. For exercise, get him to do a couple laps around the aquarium.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote