Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Question Need companion

I have a male betta who will soon be living it up in a 3.5 gallon tank. I would like to buy a companion for him but dont want to over crowd the tank with many fish (like tetras who are school fish and need 3+ to live happily). The max number of fish I want in there is no more than 3 (including betta) any suggestions?
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #2 
Kittles

I don't think other fishmates are recommended in tanks that size. I think most people suggest 10 gallons or more before adding other fish. You could, however, add some snails or ADFs.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree, 3.5g is not big enough for more fish and this species really doesn't need roommates anyway, however, you could add shrimp or snails provided that they have some place to hide and get away from the Betta, adding live plants like java moss is a great place for shrimp and the addition will add to the overall look and water quality.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #4 
TigerLily

If anything, I would choose a shrimp (ghost shrimp, or perhaps cherry shrimp) or a snail. Anything more could be too much. It's worth keeping in mind though, that some bettas will eat the shrimp while others will not. I've always had good luck with the ghost shrimp in the past, and they can be surprisingly fun to watch too.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #5 
Kittles

I thought shrimp required cycled tanks because of how sensitive they are to water conditions. Or can they survive on frequent water changes?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Like most aquatic critters they can be sensitive to high levels of ammonia and nitrite and can really be sensitive to higher nitrate...plus lots of medications especially if they contain copper.
I have never had issues with shrimp in a cycling tank or frequent water changes that are needed for cycling.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #7 
Tinman23

Ya I had some bad luck with ghost shrimp in the past, but I do like the idea of a snail or two. What are some conditions that need to be met for them to thrive? And the shrimp?
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote