Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #1 
iamgian

noob to the awesomeness that is betta

I just got a betta fish a few days ago, and I'm sad to say I was sucked in to the whole "betta fish don't need that much space." I feel bad for the guy so I plan on getting a 2 gallon fish tank. I was wondering if the one int he link is any good? If not I might just buy a bare bone tank and buy a heater and possibly a filter. I do plan to get a lot of plants, but I'd like to get the heater and the tank ASAP. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752291
iamgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #2 
xxabc

Gosh, why is there a goldfish in a 2 gallon?

Anyways, the 2 gallon should be fine. I understand you want the heater and filter ASAP, but I would like to point out a 5 gallon tank with a filter, for only 7 bucks more (I'm not an endorser, I promise! Lol.) Although heating is $12ish, if you buy the cheap heater (Tetra) at Walmart.

Other than that, the tank should be fine. It comes with a filter, so you need to buy a heater. Put as many plants as you can, they seem to love plants.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #3 
iamgian

Hm, where can I find this 5 gallon tank?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #4 
PinkDiamond

I definitely agree that they need 5 gallons or more. Everyone thinks that bettas are lazy fish until they see them in tanks like a 5 gallon. They never stop moving, just LOVE swimming all over the place! It's really how they were meant to be.

I think the price will be more like $40, but look on the PetSmart site at the Marineland Eclipse Corner 5 and Hex 5 tanks, as well as the Aqueon Minibow 5 gallon tanks (lots of colors to choose from). They're both fantastic setups for bettas.

Best of luck! Your little guy will love a big heated tank so much!
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #5 
Apriles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDiamond View Post
I definitely agree that they need 5 gallons or more. Everyone thinks that bettas are lazy fish until they see them in tanks like a 5 gallon. They never stop moving, just LOVE swimming all over the place! It's really how they were meant to be.

I think the price will be more like $40, but look on the PetSmart site at the Marineland Eclipse Corner 5 and Hex 5 tanks, as well as the Aqueon Minibow 5 gallon tanks (lots of colors to choose from). They're both fantastic setups for bettas.

Best of luck! Your little guy will love a big heated tank so much!

I can't agree more that the 5 gallon tank is the way to go!

As a single Mom and college student I know all about being on a budget....but after looking over all the tanks we went with the Aqueon Minibow 5 gallon and am beyond happy with it.

One of the things to consider when you are setting up is that even though it sometimes seems costly up front. Once your set up you really aren't going to have to spend hardly anything in the way of pet upkeep.

Compared to other pets that need grooming, expensive food, vet bills...etc....your betta will still be a much more economical pet.
Apriles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #6 
xxabc

At Walmart is where I found the 5 gallon tank for $30. (Can't believe I didn't even mention it, sorry!)
It's definitely the cheapest out of the bunch, which is why I got it. 5 gallons are never regretful! Unless you drop it. Haha
Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

Here are the real reasons for wanting to upgrade to a larger aquarium:

1) WATER QUALITY STABILITY: In fishkeeping, larger volumes of water are going to be A LOT more forgiving to the mistakes that you, as a new fishkeeper, ARE GOING TO make! ph-changes, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate buildups, etc. are ALL going to take place more gradually. In essence, while the betta will be fine in a small container, a new fishkeeper is probably out of his league with trying to keep fish in small volumes of water. To be honest, anything less than 20G is generally going to be difficult for new aquarists. Smaller than that is even more difficult, and 1/2G is ridiculously unforgiving. Final answer: the FISH doesn't need a larger volume of water, but YOU do!

2) TEMPERATURE: Keeping a volume of water that is less than 5G at a fairly consistent temperature is a difficult task, even if you DID have access to better equipment than you'll find in PetCo. Aside from having a 78-degree constant-temp. fish-room, you probably aren't going to be able to do it. Some of us have our ways of manipulating temps, but it's not easy and requires constant monitoring and adjusting.

3) EASE OF OPERATING: Larger aquariums give you more room to play around, from vacuuming gravel/changing water to decorating and filtering. Smaller containers usually require more precision and you'll have more spills, and upkeep will actually seem more tedious. The new hobbyist is more likely to slip into procrastinating on maintenance, which is deadly in small volumes of water. Whereas the water SHOULD BE changed AT LEAST 50% every other day, he'll put it off for a month or longer. This is a true recipe for failure.

Yes, it sounds like a larger aquarium is definitely for you. But at least understand WHY it is that this is better for you. Newbies who try to judge the experienced keepers w/ nano-quaria don't really come off looking too knowledgeable. The water in my 1-G is better than most fish will ever get to have, and the bacteria in there is ideal. I manage temps with a precision befitting an incubator. The care I provide my fish is going to out-match the typical hobbyist. This is why the typical hobbyist shouldn't try to do what I do. However, if they want to try it and are willing to work to keep their fish healthy and well-cared-for, I'm more than happy to advise them on how to make their nano-quarium work.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #8 
xxabc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post

2) TEMPERATURE: Keeping a volume of water that is less than 5G at a fairly consistent temperature is a difficult task, even if you DID have access to better equipment than you'll find in PetCo. Aside from having a 78-degree constant-temp. fish-room, you probably aren't going to be able to do it. Some of us have our ways of manipulating temps, but it's not easy and requires constant monitoring and adjusting.

Yes, it sounds like a larger aquarium is definitely for you. But at least understand WHY it is that this is better for you. Newbies who try to judge the experienced keepers w/ nano-quaria don't really come off looking too knowledgeable. The water in my 1-G is better than most fish will ever get to have, and the bacteria in there is ideal. I manage temps with a precision befitting an incubator. The care I provide my fish is going to out-match the typical hobbyist. This is why the typical hobbyist shouldn't try to do what I do. However, if they want to try it and are willing to work to keep their fish healthy and well-cared-for, I'm more than happy to advise them on how to make their nano-quarium work.
On the temperature, I must disagree. Keeping temperature stable in a 5 gallon is quite easy (or at least not a difficult task), especially those with a lower surrounding temperature (room temp). The heater is able to pull up the temperature to the minimum it is set to if surroundings "cool it down."

The main problem (for me, at least) is keeping it down (I live in the south). This is the only problem with "stability" I have, but even then, it's not shifting too much. The preset heater is set to 78 +/- 2, and mine stays around 78-79.

Mister Sparkle, also keep in mind: money! It's true, the larger the better in terms of nearly everything. Except...price. Let's face it, a good bunch of people are not interested in spending the money on "one little fish." Either that, or they don't have the money either (if they don't, it's debatable if they should even get a betta, but it ends up working out anyway). Sure, nearly everything is much better and/or easier in the bigger tank, but "What?? $300? No thank you!" Like I haven't heard this before ;).
Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #9 
iamgian

Well, I've decided to get a 10 gallon tank that I found for only 15 dollars, bought a heater and a filter, though I'm wondering if the filter might be too strong? It's at about 90 gph. Is that going to bother the betta at all? I also bought some albino catfish to keep it some company. I have a few plants and what not and a little hut for any to hide in.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what other fish/water creature I can get that would help maintain the cleanliness of the tank? I don't mind having to change it every week or two, that's no biggy. Anyway, comments and suggestions are always appreciated!

I'm also thinking about getting a light, but am not sure whether or not it'd be a good idea.

Last edited by iamgian; 04-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #10 
iamgian

Er, I also posted some pictures of my betta and my set up for those of you interested in looking at it. Should be under my aquariums.