Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #1 
BettaBob

Water question

Today my bettas each made their first bubble nest. I have owned them for over a month and they have never made one. They are in a divide 5 gallon tank and i am ve4ry good about the water changes. Today i noticed on the surface of the water was an almost glossy film over the top and was sort of reflecting a rainbow almost like gasoline in a puddle. I know its not gasoline or anything like that because nothing has been spilled. I was wondering if this was something natural im unaware of or what. Any help or knowledge would be awesome!!
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Most likely organic that are harmless, you can use a paper towel and lay over it and soak it up or add an air stone to break it up.
Keep up with the 50% weekly water changes and substrate vacuuming and it may go away in a month or so and sometimes it will stay for longer but it is harmless to the fish just unsightly to us, also adding floating plants like water lettuce or duck weed can help some but not always to absorb some of the nutrients/organics.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

The 2 most likely causes are the fat-content of the flake food you provide, or you just ate some greasy food yourself! Not a big concern in most cases. Oldfishlady's got you covered on getting rid of it.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #4 
xxabc

For me, this seems to be common in indisturbed water. Do you have any kind of filter?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #5 
BettaBob

Yes i do have a filter, its an aqua tech power filter with a piece of a soda bottle curved around the outflow to break up the stream. It is a fairly calm tank but definatly not completely still.
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote