Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #1 
Firefly

Smile Driftwood water changes

Hello everyone just felt like posting something, lol.i have my gravel and driftwood for my tank, getting plants the weekend , but im still waiting for another bag of gravel, the shop was out of stock of the colour i wanted then im gana set up my tank!! im soooo excited and impatient. Ive had the tank for like 2 weeks now. i wanted to know if i should soak my drift wood longer. i have been soaking it and replacing the water for a week now, the water is still a bit yellow after its been in boiling water, but i was wondering if the water will go as yellow as quickly with tank tempreture? and wat is the easiest way to get rid of the tannin quickly cause i am sooooo impatient and dont wana wait any longer:D haha and also what plants should i put in. My tank is a 16.6 juwel rekord
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

You don't need to keep boiling it. Just keep it in standing water. If you are eager, then just change the water once a day. As soon as the water isn't yellow anymore after sitting in it a whole 24 hours or so, it should be good to go in your aquarium. If it leeches into your aquarium, it won't really do any harm...but jumping the gun may leave you with some ugly water...and there's no way past that except to perform a 100% water change.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #3 
Brains

"It can be weeks or even months before most of the tannins are released."
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

I suppose you should just soak it longer
Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #4 
BerkB33

I've got a piece of Malaysian Driftwood that's been in the tank for nearly a year...and yes, I'm still getting "brown" water from it. It's a big, thick piece so it's normal that it's taken this long...just lettin' you know it could take a LONG WHILE depending on the size of the wood. Be patient.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #5 
Hadouken441

Hmm.. After 10 mins of boiling none of my wood realeses tannins and Ive had some wood as long as 3 months.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #6 
Firefly

thanks everybody:) its 2 pieces, 1 log like piece and a awkwardly shaped arch piece, no are very thick so i assumed the tannin would leach out quickly, together they weigh 1kg. Hadouken u lucky:D hehe. ill keep boiling and soaking for another week tho:)
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #7 
herbwin

Some wood can release for years. Charcoal helps to remove the tint.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote