Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #11 
s3kshun62

I just recently (today) purchased a 2.5 gallon tank, heater, filter and substrate and the total cost was around 60 US dollars. It doesnt take up much space, looks great and gives him plenty of room to swim in. For a little money, you can spend more time looking at your fish, instead of cleaning his tank.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #12 
Sella

Bettas require heat. If you're not willing to learn/properly care for the animal I'd suggest you jsut keep the one you have and not get anymore.
All animals have certain requirements and if you're not going to do it properly, why do it at all?
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #13 
s3kshun62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sella View Post
Bettas require heat. If you're not willing to learn/properly care for the animal I'd suggest you jsut keep the one you have and not get anymore.
All animals have certain requirements and if you're not going to do it properly, why do it at all?
Exactly, I mean when you're a child, you go through fish usually not knowing how to really take care of them. They are (for the most part) cheap pets that can be replaced easily. As you get older, it's harder for you to ignore the fact that they have needs as any other pet. Sometimes it costs a bit of money but its worth it.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #14 
Sella

I work as a veterinary nurse and I see so many people getting puppies because "they're cute!". I spend a lot of time going over the importance of handling their ears, and their feet, nail trimming and teeth brush, socialization with people and other dogs. Its staggering how many people aren't up to the task once explained what owning an animal actually involves. A few years later we see the same owner with the same "cute" puppy, who's now a full grown, dog aggressive fear biter that requires sedation to trim his nails, because he shoots anal glands everywhere and trys to attack us if we try without drugs. THIS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OWNERSHIP.

All that being said, Bettas have for so long been known as the "beautiful fish that can be kept in a cup" Those bettas aren't healthy or happy. It makes me shiver to think of my betta who whizzes around like a squid in his five gallon, being stuck in a little half gallon tank. I cannot morally let a fish live in those type of conditions when I know I can provide better. I made a commitment to this little life to provide best for it, especially when the best is simply a heater, a 5 gallon tank, and a place to hide in. This is what we must teach others to understand.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #15 
DarthMaul
Banned

contrary to A LOT of opinions on here their is NOTHING wrong with 1 gal. habitats/tanks. Both my first 2 bettas lived just about 3 yrs in 1gal habitats and then died right after i upgraded both of them to 2.5gals, go figure.... but IMO/IME 1 gals are just fine for those who know the importance of frequent water changes.

Quote:
. I cannot morally let a fish live in those type of conditions when I know I can provide better. I made a commitment to this little life to provide best for it, especially when the best is simply a heater, a 5 gallon tank, and a place to hide in. This is what we must teach others to understand.
Their is really nothing wrong with 1gals... if you do frequent water changes and what not, the conditions will not be bad. IMO, 5 gal is HUGE for one betta, not that a 5 gal is bad or anything. But some of use just simply do not have room for 5,10,25, and as i saw once a 65 for ONE betta. so WE have to settle for 1 gals and 2.5gals and our bettas can live just as LONG as people who have bettas in 5gal+ ( my grandma had one for 3 yrs in a betta bowl) and we are NOT bad people just because we do not house our bettas in gigantic tanks, just saying =] I mean if i had room for a 10gal, i'd get one and it split it 3 ways for 3 males =]

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-21-2010 at 11:30 PM.
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #16 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
It makes me shiver to think of my betta who whizzes around like a squid in his five gallon, being stuck in a little half gallon tank. I cannot morally let a fish live in those type of conditions...
Let's hear it for anthropomorphosis! LOL

I'll put the water in my 1Gallon up against your 5gallon anyday! Don't try to act like nanoquariums are relics from Nazi Germany...if someone knows what they are doing, a mere quart is plenty for an animal whose world revolves around a clump of grass. I wouldn't use that size for very long, but a 1/2-gallon permanent home houses many happy, long-lived, and healthy bettas.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #17 
DarthMaul
Banned

lol wow...i'd put my 2.5 gal up against anyones 10-20 gal and i bet my betta lives just as long =]
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #18 
Kittles

But a human isn't a squid. And whizzing isn't exactly a human-specific verb. So there is no anthropomorphism in that block of text, is there?

/me closes wikipedia.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #19 
Mister Sparkle

LOL...trying to imagine a betta's needs based on human ideals is an example of conferring upon said animal human qualities, which is anthropomorphism!

Got anymore brain-busters?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #20 
vaygirl

I guess I usually recommend larger for new people is because a lot of people who come here have a hard time taking our advice on water changes. They think we're crazy, militant, fish nuts. :) And then they don't keep up with water changes and the fish gets fin rot or ammonia poisoning.

See, for me it's not just about how LONG they live and the pristine condition of their tank. It's about their quality of life. I have the ability and the money to give them plenty of room. I'll give you a fish example:

If anyone saw Tango hunting imaginary creatures all day in every little cranny and hidey hole in his planted 15 gallon, they'd know the space is good for him. His world is MUCH bigger then a clump of grass and he explores every bit of it all day long. Whiskey on the other hand, in his 5 gallon, spends a lot more of the day pacing across the front. I can SEE the difference just sitting here at my desk every day.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote