Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #41 
vaygirl

I realize that our bettas are very far removed from their wild counterparts but having had Tango in a 1.5 gallon cube where he sat in one spot most of the day and stared out, and a 15 gallon where he spends his day hunting along the bottom and every inch of the tank up and down, I can tell you that I see life in the bigger tank where there wasn't much happening before.

I can get you a 10 minute movie of him hunting. A movie in which he's searching and hiding and playing in every inch of his home. Where he looks at every possible hiding place to see what's in it, a tank where he's engaged and interested in everything going on. He doesn't miss a trick. These fish are smart, curious hunters that enjoy getting into and checking out everything. He's busier in that tank then I am in my house. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #42 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenyTinyTofu View Post
In reference to a betta being able to survive in a 1 or 2 gallon container its whole life...

there's a difference between survive and thrive.
Well, let's take 2 bettas. One lives in a 2.5 gal and ones lives in a 10gal. Both live the same life span. You can't say one thrived and one survived if they both live the same life span.Tank size does NOT really matter. Tank upkeep does :)
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #43 
DarthMaul
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post

If anyone saw Tango hunting imaginary creatures all day in every little cranny and hidey hole in his planted 15 gallon, they'd know the space is good for him. His world is MUCH bigger then a clump of grass and he explores every bit of it all day long. Whiskey on the other hand, in his 5 gallon, spends a lot more of the day pacing across the front. I can SEE the difference just sitting here at my desk every day.
Here his the problem with that, one you claim to have the money, so why not get whiskey a bigger home? Also, we can all agree bettas all have different personalities, so you can't go by their behavior and say it's bc of their tank size. Peters tank is bigger than Matthew and Matthew is more active, yet his tank is smaller. Hmmm just saying :)

This will NEVER be settled here is why:
People get their toes stepped on when their PERSONAL preferences are not matched
People have bettas live AND die in 65 billion gal tanks as well as *gasp dun dun dun* 2.5gal tanks. Oops hope I didnt just offend someone
People also have bettas live the SAME life span in small and large tanks, with that being said who has ANY right to say small tanks are evil, inhumane, cruel, wah wah wah when many many bettas have lived just as long and healthy as those kept in large tanks
Just saying....

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-22-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #44 
doggyhog

Probably shouldn't join in the argument, but what the heck.

I personally don't keep my bettas in a tank smaller then 2 gallons permanently. I have a few 1g hospital tanks, and I've kept one of my girls in a breeder trap for a few months.

I think that clean, warm water is better then a huge, cold, dirty tank. But a huge clean warm tank is the best of all!!! I simply do not have space to keep all my bettas in 5+ gallon tanks, but I give them a good life.

My opinion on small tanks, is why bother?? Often the small "Kits" are relatively pricey, and take lots of maintenance. Not to mention a betta in a 1/2g-1g tank doesn't have that much space. It's fine as a temp. home IMO, but as a permanent home, nah. Some people have different opinions, but that is mine. I simply just don't like to see a betta without much space.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #45 
DarthMaul
Banned

i agree, 1/2 is not so good for a permanant home, but again, tank betta A and betta B... if Betta A lives in a 10 gal and Betta B lives in a 1 or 2.5 gal and BOTH live the same life span, who has ANY right to say Betta B was treated poorly and that owner is no good? Some of use just simply do NOT have room for multiple tanks and big tanks and also the money, but DO have the heart and time to properly take care of a betta housed in a 2.5 or even 1 gal, just sayin =] I am actually offended by those who think keeping a betta in a 2.5 gal is cruel or inhumane. Sorry, but its not. Any anyone who uses that " well how would you like it if you lived in a one bedroom apartment" is goofy, b/c that apartment has a front door that the person can walk out of....i love my bettas and i would bet ANY amount of money that MY Peter that is a 2.5 gal is just as healthy as those who keep ONE betta in a 10,15,25,65, etc

Last edited by DarthMaul; 04-22-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 AM   #46 
Tinthalas Tigris

I don't think that the argument is so much that one is crueler than the other. it is more comparable to owning a dog like a Labrador retriever. These are dogs that love water. They have slightly webbed feet. They love to dig. They love protecting their family. They love hunting. They love going hunting. and they love to have jobs like pointing at kills.

This doesn't mean you can't have a labrador retriever in an apartment, take it for runs to the park every day and teach it to catch a frisbee, and then occasionally let it swim in your friend's pool from time to time.

Not all Labrador retrievers are hunting dogs. Not all labrador retrievers are family dogs. ALot go their entire life assisting the blind because they also make great task oriented jobs. An old friend of mine never took his lab for a walk. Never let him out of modest back yard, but that lab loved watching TV with the family, and whenever a dog would come on screen, he would let everyone in the room know that he saw a dog on the screen.

I think the ultimate underlying goal here, is that bettas are provided the opportunity to enjoy a great life. As others have said here, many bettas have different personalities.

And some (like one of mine) just likes to spend her day in herr 28 gallon community tank, sitting on a leaf, and watching me type onto message boards. And when I stand up, she'll get up from her perch and just watch me cook on the stove. and when it comes time to sleep -- I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SHE DOES!!!!

But one thing I do know. If my little lazy betta never had the opportunity to have a huge tank, I'd never have known if she was depressed, bored, or just honestly lived to watch me like I watch the rest of her active family, when I just want to sit, relax, and watch the world from a different point of view.

(on an added note, I would not be surprised if she hops out of the tank when I'm not at home and watches youtube videos that I am unaware of.. I mean, she knows my methods meticulously at this point).
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #47 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I can get you a 10 minute movie of him hunting. A movie in which he's searching and hiding and playing in every inch of his home. Where he looks at every possible hiding place to see what's in it, a tank where he's engaged and interested in everything going on. He doesn't miss a trick. These fish are smart, curious hunters that enjoy getting into and checking out everything. He's busier in that tank then I am in my house. :P
I wonder what makes you certain that this is a sign of happiness. With all due respect, calling it "hunting" or "playing" is really anthropomorphosis, as is the presumption that such activities are an indication of happiness. While we know that a motionless fish can be particularly stressed, that doesn't mean that a fish which is constantly on the move is particularly happy. For bettas, most experts observe that "pacing" action, almost like a patrolling pattern, around a particular physical location is most closely matched with their natural behavior. Animals acting in a way very similar to what one would see in nature is probably the best indication of "happiness" and "comfort" we are able to presume without taking huge leaps in logic and assumption.

Bettas are carnivorous fish, but they are opportunity "hunters". They don't really "hunt" for food, as much as eat it when it comes their way. There isn't really any reason to believe that they are much for "exploring", either, in their natural environment. When we see a fish partake in curious behavior around fixtures of their aquarium, it's easy for us to think they are playing. However, they may just be trying to figure out what is going on with something for which they have no instinctive understanding about how they should respond. It may, in fact, be a symptom of stress! That's why such temptations to anthropomorphise behavior are best resisted.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #48 
BeautifulBettaFish

Well,Thanks to everyone who helped without judging :) i now have a two gallon, and a 20 gallon tank (not set up yet) ...
for those of you who posted here up on your high horses,... i already said at the beginning of this post that i do water changes ....read it right and quit assuming please! Im sure none of us are perfect & there are plenty of fish in smaller containers that are better cared for and in better condition than some in larger containers, & visa versa....chill out ! anyway, Im attempting to get this 20 gallon set up ...ill probably end up killing the fish cause i have no clue how to set up an aquarium....before you judge & snap...im reading books on it...but the way i learn best is if im shown, so all the reading adds up to confusion to me .....but im trying...so in my case i may be better off keeping a betta in a two gallon with water changes....we shall see ....
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #49 
Starbright

*Decides to completely avoid the argument*

A 20 gallon setup sounds amazing! Rather than just going head first in to setting up the large tank, I'm glad you're researching first :) (I should have too... hehe too late ><)

Can't wait for updates!!
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #50 
BeautifulBettaFish

well i just hope i can do this...i want to get a king betta to keep in there ...i have no fish now ( my son got an apartment & wanted the fish i had :) so the thing with a tank im told you need to wait weeks before you can add fish ...and i still need to clean the tank and add water ,etc etc etc ..i have a stand to put it on,a hood and light ,afilter..air stone...some decorationd and rocks...i still need a heater (suggestions on what kind ?) and i still need gravel too .....i may get a betta and keep him in my 2 gallon until the 20 gallon ....settles and is ready to add fish...so we shall see...hopefully i can do this ,and not kill the fish in the process ! I dont like complicated things ,im better with keeping things simple which is why if this does not work out for me its back to the bowls....or if i become wealthy i will have someone come set up and maintain a aquarium for me !

Last edited by BeautifulBettaFish; 05-16-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: error
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote