Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Little bubbles still forming in newly setup tank...(pics)

So I've just set up my tank and started to cycle it in the last three to four days.

I ran the tank for 24 hours without anything in it but Prime Water Conditioner and no bubbles formed.

Then I added a little bit more water also treated with Prime and shortly after added a little bit of ammonia to get my tank up to a reading of 5-6 ppm. The tank ran for a few hours and bubbles started to form because of the filter.

However there are tiny bubbles that are all around the edge of the tank now. Almost like there was some sort of soap or something in the water.

BUT, I properly cleaned out the tank with NO soaps, cleaned the filter with NO soaps, and the ammonia added has no additives. It's pure ammonia hydroxide diluted to 10% in water; nothing else.

Mister Sparkles mentioned trapped gasses in a previous thread, however the tank has been running for 4 days and the bubbles are still forming. So I'm ruling out that on my own accord.

Anywho, here's some pictures. Any ideas?
Attached Images

brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Those aren't live plants, are they?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #3 
xxabc

I think they're hornwort in the last pic. But I'm positive they're real throughout the pictures.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

lol...I feel so dumb. Your bubbles might just be from your plants...they are working overtime to process that ammonia. The bubbles are a part of respiration, I believe. Rather than toxic gases from compressed air in your pipes, it could very well be oxygen! A friend of mine also believes that ammonia alone could be responsible...and he's knowledgeable with fishless cycling. There's lots of room for error trying to guess at these things over the internet, but those plants made me smack myself in the forehead!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 AM   #5 
brancasterr

Hahaha, thanks Mister Sparkles. I didn't even think of that! I suppose there must be extra oxygen in the water with my plants getting acclimated and processing ammonia. I also thought about the ammonia being the culprit as well. That's a nasty chemical and there's no telling what it might do. Haha.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote