Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #1 
Welsh

Another Plant Question

So I set my tank up today. gravel, heater, filter its all in there with some added bacteria liquid and chlorine liquid. I wanted to buy live plants to go in the tank today as I heard they help cycle the tank faster but the pet store assistant told me that I would have to put them in when I put the fish in because of the added chlorine liquid are they wrong can I add plants?
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What is this chlorine liquid? are you talking about a dechlorinator because you have chlorine in your water.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #3 
Welsh

Yes that its, sorry I couldnt think of the right word
Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #4 
Hadouken441

Haha dont listen to that fool. Add plants right away.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Agree, if it is a dechlorinator add the plants....can never go wrong with plants..lol.....however, for the sake of the fish check the ammonia and nitrite levels and make the needed water changes for ammonia and nitrite of 0.25ppm and greater.........during cycling......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

There's probably never a better time to add plants than right when you begin.

Why? Because the water level is low, and there aren't any damsels or fellows in there yet that you can actually drop heavy items on. It is SO much easier to aquascape when there is only a minimal amount of water in there, and the majority of maintenance chemicals don't effect the plants negatively at all.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #7 
Welsh

Really? thats good to here Im so excited about getting my fish that I want to add something to the tank now, im like a little kid in a sweet shop lol. Im counting the days down until I can get my fish think its going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life lol.

Also, I was just out in the garden and came across and old rectangular ceramic pot that my parents dont use so both me and my mother smashed it so I could have the corner of the pot for a hidey hole. I was just wondering whether I could put this into my tank now. I have washed it with boiling hot water from the tap but it does have some green algae on it. What should I do?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #8 
Welsh

Im new to the aquarium thing, we did have one when we were kids but my parents took care of that, me and my sister just admired the pretty fish lol.

Anyway, am I supposed to change the water when my tank is cycling, or do I use the same water for when the fish are ready to go in?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 
Kittles

Yours is fishless, right? From what I understand, and there's a chance I could be wrong, you don't need to do any water changes until your cycle is complete. That is, unless you overdose your tank somehow with ammonia, or whatever it is you're adding to build up bacteria, you should be set until your nitrate reading appears, spikes, and needs to be tamed with a large water change to prepare the tank for the insertion of your fish.

Rrrrrrriiiighht?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #10 
Welsh

You are right. Mister Sparkles however helped with the cycling thing in one of my other many threads lol I havent got a testing kit yet so I have no clue what the water is doing although it does smell like a swimming pool so Im going to get the water tested soon. As for bacteria I have only added that thing that came with the tank nothing else.

What you reckon will happen if I add that ceramic pot to the tank thats been outside, I'll be burying the jagged edges into the gravel. If you're wondering what I'm talking about the question is up ^^^^ there somewhere lol