Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #1 
fantails

Water changes

Hi. I have 1 Betta in a 10 gal filtered tank. I have 1 aqua clear 20 and the tank is heated to 80 F. My question is do I need to do water changes weekly or can I go every 2 weeks?? Thanks
fantails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #2 
Brains

Is your tank cycled? I have the same setup and I am going to do 70% water changes once a week :)
Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #3 
fantails

Yes it is cycled. I would not go over 25 % for a 10 gallon. I have a 40 gallon with 4 fancy goldfish and I only do 25 % weekly and I have no problem. I was just curious if it really had to be weekly. Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

There's no "magic number", but my experience is that nearly all fish thrive more and more with water changes occurring in growing frequency. I do 20% every other day after cycling is complete...then again, I'm insane!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #5 
Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
There's no "magic number", but my experience is that nearly all fish thrive more and more with water changes occurring in growing frequency. I do 20% every other day after cycling is complete...then again, I'm insane!
I prefer to do mine once a week because I am lazy . Yes the more frequent the better. But I would change at least 50% a week, especially on a goldfish tank. Actually the main reason for water changes is to keep your nitrates down, so let your test kit tell you when. Try to keep them under 10ppm

Last edited by Brains; 04-15-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: additional info
Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #6 
fantails

I usually do 25 % weekly on my goldfish tank and I never have nitrates over 10 they are always under 10. The Betta tank I usually do weekly 25 %. Thanks for your input
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #7 
iamgian

No clue on how or what cycling really is... I'm still looking for the post that explains it all. Maybe it could be stickied on the Betta Care thread? I was wondering though, is cycling necessary?
iamgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #8 
TigerLily

I believe there is a sticky on cycling around here someplace, although I may be mistaken. For those of us with smaller tanks, cycling is not really a necessity, per se, but it does make maintaining the tank easier. On larger tanks, it's just about a must.

Edit: I can't find it, but here is another website with some information on cycling.
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Last edited by TigerLily; 04-15-2010 at 09:28 PM.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #9 
xxabc

It's in the freshwater aquarium thread.

Cycling isn't entirely NECESSARY, but I find it undoubtedly helpful. The smaller the tank, the harder it will be to cycle (and will just be easier to do more frequent water changes). 5 gallons seems to be unanimous as a good smaller-sized tank.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgian View Post
No clue on how or what cycling really is... I'm still looking for the post that explains it all. Maybe it could be stickied on the Betta Care thread? I was wondering though, is cycling necessary?
Essentially, cycling is GOING TO HAPPEN! Your fish are going to produce ammonia as a waste product, in addition to that created by other factors such as rotting uneaten food, etc. This ammonia is going to provide an ideal environment for bacteria that like to "eat" ammonia. These microorganisms will, in turn, create nitrite as their own waste product, which will invite the establishment of yet another bacteria to convert the nitrite to nitrate. This process is a good thing for us keepers, because ammonia and nitrite are incredibly hazardous to our fine scaly friends. The nitrate becomes great food (fertilizer) for live plants. The trick with "cycling" is to keep your new fish from succumbing to downright toxic conditions while these bacteria establish themselves and begin to convert the waste to the relatively harmless nitrate. Ammonia can burn tissue in your fish, which would most likely effect their gills the most. Bettas are tough, so they probably won't die from it...but they will suffer the lingering effects virtually forever. So, until your aquarium has those established bacterial colonies, partial water changes are the best way of diluting those toxins and preventing permanent damage to your fish.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote