Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #11 
xxabc

Yeah, you don't dump it out, haha. What size is your tank? In my 5 gallon, i use a siphon. Even in a smaller tank, I would imagine using some kind of pitcher if a siphon wasn't fit (although I don't know what situation it wouldn't be fit).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #12 
MikeHall

It's a 2.5 gallon. Absolutely horrible experience with the water changing so far. I dumped out about 90% of the water and filled it up with warm tap water, and dropped the required amount of the water conditioner. (The fish is in tupperware with old tank water during all of this) The water was still really murky so I let the filter run for a while, and the water seemed to clear up. I noticed that the tank has this little sticker thing that like shows the temperature, it was at 84 F the last time I checked. I'm trying to let it get back to room temperature.
MikeHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #13 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHall View Post
do I need a filter?
"Need" being the operative word, the answer is no. But it will only improve conditions. A $5 sponge filter will provide mechanical filtration, which will get a lot of the floating detritus out of your water, and will also provide a place for bacteria to colonize and convert your fish's waste ammonia into nitrite and then the nitrite into essentially harmless nitrate.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #14 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHall View Post
It's a 2.5 gallon. Absolutely horrible experience with the water changing so far. I dumped out about 90% of the water and filled it up with warm tap water, and dropped the required amount of the water conditioner. (The fish is in tupperware with old tank water during all of this) The water was still really murky so I let the filter run for a while, and the water seemed to clear up. I noticed that the tank has this little sticker thing that like shows the temperature, it was at 84 F the last time I checked. I'm trying to let it get back to room temperature.
In the long run, you'll want to figure out a way to improve the "room temperature" environment. Ideally, you'll be able to provide 77-82 degrees temps. Heaters for 2 gallon aquariums aren't very reliable, in my experience, but you might find the right mix and provide ideal temps for him.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use a tetra whisper heater for my 2.5 gallons.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #16 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I use a tetra whisper heater for my 2.5 gallons.
I'll have to check that one out! I'm assuming that you're happy with it?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #17 
xxabc

Leave your betta in there if you aren't going to do too large of a water changes. In my 5 gallon, it gets as low as 3-4inches, including gravel. That's about 2-3 inches of swim space for them (in my larger changes). They do just fine as long as they can swim upright without dragging against gravel.

In your 2.5, I would recommend a siphon/gravel vacuum/gravel cleaner. (All the same things). It's much easier to use, but I would get a self-starter, or one with a pump. I use the bi-orb one, it's very simple. Your betta will get used to it.

When you put water in, you finger-test it. You compare the fish-tank temperature, and MAKE the tap-water temperature match as close as possible. After doing this for a while, you will get used to it. Also, I pour my tap(with chlorine) water into a separate bowl, treat it, and then put it into my tank. However I only do this because I don't want to affect my cycle. I think if you're uncycled, it will be okay to put it directly in.

The Tetra heaters (2-15) seem pretty good for smaller aquariums. I'm not sure about the comparison to the mini hydor however... I'm curious about those two.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #18 
MikeHall

Could I get a link to one of those heaters? I tried finding it on the internet and was unable to. Could I get one at Petco?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #19 
xxabc

I've never heard nor seen it at Petco or Petsmart...only Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808
Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM   #20 
MikeHall

Hm. I just learned that the nearest Wal-Mart is a 40 minute drive away.