Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #21 
xxabc

Well that's not too good. Got anything else on your shopping list you might as well go for?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #22 
Mister Sparkle

Just was informed today that Marineland makes a 10-watt non-adjustable 78-degree heater for aquariums under 3 gallons! That would be worth checking out. It is a real heater, meaning it will shut off once your water is @ 78! Much better than my age-old tricks or the submersible "heating pad", both of which are difficult to control constantly.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #23 
xxabc

I think that heater has heating problems, if I'm thinking of the right one. Dramaqueen and one or two other people (here) have had over-heating issues for under 3 gallons (80, nearing 85?). I also believe Dramaqueen said she would recommend it for over 4 gallons? However, I don' tknow if it's either a bad batch, or something else, because I haven't used it personally. Batch would be doubtful though.

Just thought I would take a mention to it. I find it really weird as people use the Tetra 25watt one and have no issues. Yet this is 10watt .... then again, I have no clue what watts really are...haha
Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #24 
Mister Sparkle

Generally speaking, you're looking for between 3 and 5 watts per gallon. In my experience, Marineland products are pretty middle-of-the-road. Not the absolute best out there, but usually fairly decent. Definitely not bargain-bin stuff. Regardless, it's the only 10-watt heater with an internal thermostat that I know of. 25W is overkill for my nano-quariums.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #25 
xxabc

Here I found the (or some) threads. I'm just reading from these, I have no personal experience with the heaters.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...k-38865/page4/

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-heater-40735/
Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #26 
Mister Sparkle

Thanks for linking those threads. That's interesting. I may just have to stick with my old "ghetto tricks", then! I'll still probably buy one to see if there's a way to make it suit my needs. 8)
Old 04-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #27 
xxabc

You mean buying a Marineland? Tell me how that goes...I'm really curious why it does that...like really curious. BUt not enough to get another tank and test it, lol.

Haha, old ghetto tricks... nothing beats the originals!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #28 
Mister Sparkle

It might have to do with the location of the thermostat on the heater. It might not work properly. It may just need a little Sparkle-magic to figure out how to use it, and spread the word...yea, probably not that one, but it's fun to be a legend in one's own mind!

One of those threads featured someone discussing the use of a mechanical timer to limit the effect of the heater. That might be the way to go. Sure beats my Zoomed pads and plexiglass, if that turns out to be effective!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a 25 watt Marineland stealth visitherm in a 2.5 gallon critter keeper and have never had a bit of trouble with it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #30 
Mister Sparkle

I don't want to downplay your success in the least, but I don't want to replay my previous horror stories with WAY too much wattage for my nanos!