Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #1 
budgallant

Unhappy Can you SEE What Is Wrong? (includes picture of sick Betta)

Hi everyone. I am hoping for some assistance in pinpointing exactly the cause of my betta's apparently lack of wellbeing. The spots seem too big to be Ich to me, and not the proper shape to be a fungus (going by the pictures I have seen). I suppose it's possible he's changing colors... Or maybe it is something I just don't have the skill to identify properly...

It's hard for me to know for sure he even is sick, as I just recently got him from a local store here. I have noticed he seems very lethargic, though, the last few days. Mostly stays at the bottom of his tank and comes up for air quickly then returns every few minutes. He stills seems to have an appetite but he does spit the food out instantly after he eats it. He's been doing this since I got him, and I assumed he was trying to break the flakes up into smaller pieces, since he usually will try to eat the broken down bits after he spits them out.

This betta whom I have named Dorian is supposedly a crowntail, although frankly now that I've seen pictures of crowntails I have my doubts he actually is. Regardless, I'd like him to have a chance, so please tell me what you think may be wrong with him. He lives in a 5 gallon tank that is heated by himself.

I may have been overfeeding him... Possibly by quite a bit, as the instructions on his BettaMin flakes are really very unclear. It says to feed him 2-4 times a day as much as he will eat in "several minutes". It seemed like a huge amount to me, but he was eating it, so I kept feeding him. The last few days I've tried nearly cutting all his food and feeding him a pea, which he seems to have eaten over a couple days. Still he doesn't seem quite right.

In summary, I'm hoping the picture will reveal the possible issue. In addition to the picture:
- he stays low in the tank 90% of the day, just coming up for air
- he's developing strange light blotches around his head and neck
- he's turning a silvery color at the back (not sure if that's an issue)
- very unactive

He resides in:
- 5 gallon tank
- heated
- filled with bottled water (uncycled)

It might be relevant also to mention that a thermometer I had just attached to the side of his tank shattered with nearly no pressure on it from my hand and spilled it's contents into the tank with him. Several shards of glass, small metal balls and red liquid were left at the bottom and he swam right at it. I bought this at a large chain store that will remain nameless but is big on creating an empire of cheap imports and low prices. I did a full tank change which was probably unnecessary but I didn't know what was in that thing, and this is around the time his health seemed to decline. I'm not sure if that is related, however, as he wasn't in the best health to begin with to be honest, but he at least was swimming around normally.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
Attached Images

Last edited by budgallant; 04-13-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo
budgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #2 
bloo97

It is probably some bacteria...
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

Sounds like he is poisoned :( and the water change WAS necessary
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. First of all I'd get rid of the flakes and feed him pellets. I would feed 2 pellets twice a day. I think it was a good idea to change the water after the thermometer broke.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #5 
Mizzle

are you keeping your gravel clean?
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #6 
Firefly

Sorry to hear about ur new fishy:( .. The thermometer breaking is very bad, those thermometers contain mercury or some substance like it, so he is probably poisoned. Its good u did a full tank change, did u wash the gravel when u did a full water change? What temperature is ur tank? i suggest u go to ur local aquarium shop and ask a knowledgeable person what meds u can give ur betta. The white patches look ind of like burns
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #7 
Mitsufishi

If it's the thermometer I have, then its red paraffin...which is a wax. Regardless it's a good thing that you changed the water completely. He does look to me like he is a CT from what I can see anyways
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #8 
FuulieQ

Most thermometers use red dyed alcohol nowadays, but it was still a very good idea that you changed his tank water.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #9 
nochoramet

He's definitely a crowntail, just has some fin damage. I don't know what those spots are, it might just be part of his coloring that is showing up. The thermometer might have poisoned him, but I'm not sure, considering we don't know what was in it and/or if it's harmful to fish.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #10 
budgallant

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it.

I will try to get pellets instead of flakes. Do they make them specifically for bettas or is any tropical fish variety ok?

The gravel was getting pretty dirty. I replaced the gravel with sand that I washed thoroughly and got a filter. It's an aquatech power filter for 5-15 gallon tanks. Seem a bit strong... I hope the betta doesn't mind it. It's really cleaned up the water though.

He seems a bit more lively now that I've changed the water, so hopefully he's getting better.

Glad to hear he is a crowntail afterall. Hopefully his fins will fill out more. I've seen some really spectacular looking bettas. In time maybe he will surprise me.
budgallant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blotches, sick, sick betta, spots, white