Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #1 
DarthMaul
Banned

Question is it ok to temp. divide a 2.5 gal?

Now i know i will get some flack about the room each betta will have lol but please hear me out first :p Their is this beautiful all white male betta i have been eyeing up ALL week at petsmart. He looks sooooo good for a petsmart betta and he is sooo responsive and we just connect haha. Now until i can afford a home for him, is it ok to split a 2.5 gal with one of my guys temporarily? I mean i have NO problem doing frequent water changes to make it safe =] so would this be okay so i can save this poor betta from a plastic cup death?
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I say it's fine if it's temporary. Just make sure that you do at least two 100% water changes a week. I would also put plants up against the divider so they can't see each other fully. Even though it's a small area for him, it's much better than the small cup he's in now and he'd probably end up with a person who stuck him in a small bowl anyways.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

i already do that amount of water changes for the 2.5 gal haha should do more if i divide it?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's great! I try to do the same thing, but sometimes I don't have the time. It's up to you, if they poop a lot (yes, some of mine poop more than others) than I'd do three 100% water changes a week. You can never clean a tank too much! :)
Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #5 
DarthMaul
Banned

well if one did 100% EVERY day that might actually be to much moving and stress for a betta lol unless the betta is sick or something, but ya a few 100% a week is good
Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #6 
xxabc

What shape is the 2.5 gallon? If it's TALLER than LONGER, it may be easier to find another container. However, I'm not sure that can apply to you (I have plenty of 1 gallon buckets for water changes, and if I were in your situation, I would put him in there).

How long do you think "temporarily" will be?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #7 
DarthMaul
Banned

wait.. what is the difference between dividing a 2.5 gal and wasting money on a 1 gal lol do the math, dividing is actually a little bigger and its a longer tank and i dunno about 2 weeks

oh and i am not going to put a betta in a 1 gal "bucket" haha i know MOST on here think 1 gal tanks are the devil... BUT i housed a betta in a 1 gal for months and he was just fine until he got a bigger tank.. heck, my grandma had one in a 1 gal bowl for over 3 yrs! haha

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-16-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #8 
xxabc

I didn't say buy one - I said I had many available to me in my house that I would use personally. And since it's temporary, it should be fine. I'm very strong on my water changes so it wouldn't pose as harm for my betta until I get another tank as a permanent home. If you don't have any buckets to spare, then you don't have to waste money. Usually a good amount of fresher betta owners and 1-gallons fail to perform enough water changes to make it a good home, which is why there's not too much happiness, in my opinion.

If it's a longer tank then that's good...I usually only see 2.5 hexes, which aren't a good idea to divide, IMO, haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #9 
DarthMaul
Banned

ya those smaller hexes are awful =[ and ya those ppl that use 1 gal and hardly ever change water is also awful
Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, I had a couple in 1Gs for a couple months until I could upgrade and mine were fine. I've heard that 1Gs should be only used for "experienced" betta owners because they'll make sure they keep up with the water changes where as newer betta owners don't want to be burdened by cleaning it so much. A lot of people have the misconception that smaller is easier, but it's just the opposite. I personally love cleaning my tanks out myself rather than having it cycled and doing partial changes. :)