Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #1 
javi

rcs

So i have my 6 gallon set up. The plants will arrive from taiwan next week. My betta will go in a few days after planting. Now what are your thoughts on red cherry shrimp. I am a fan of theirs and would love to try to keep them. Now how would they fair with a betta is my question. The tank will be heavily planted, at least it will be when all the plants spread.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 
2brown347

Shrimp are always a bit of a gamble with any fish, but 90% of the time they'll be fine. I've kept rcs with bettas before with no problem, that doesn't mean your betta won't cause problems. I say give it a try.

and a lot of people suggest trying ghost shrimp first, and even though it can be helpful (because if the fish kill them they'll probably kill any shrimp) it isn't a great method IMO. Lots of time fish will ignore the clear ghost shrimp but they see red and all the sudden it's
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #3 
Sella

Can the shrimp be kept in an unfiltered aquarium? say...a five gallon heated planted one?
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #4 
2brown347

I would do at least a sponge filter.
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #5 
javi

Cool. It will be quite a while before i get rcs if i do. May just stick to cory cats as they are one of my fave fish. Thanks.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #6 
Hadouken441

Cherries are fun but you'll never be able to breed them with a betta. And the biggest cause of cherry shrimp dying is from stress from predation. I wouldnt risk it just because they're pretty pricey.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #7 
dipsydoodlenoodle

The betta will eat the baby shrimp; I was told if you introduce an adult shrimp to a betta it will learn to associate it as something you can't eat - I wouldn't risk it.

I'd imagine the shrimp would spend most of their time hiding.

I had shrimp in with newts and they hid most of the time - they newts were more scared; I got them their own tank and there are three male guppies in with them (a different variety so the males are only around 2cm fully grown) but the shrimp are out a lot of the time; they don't seem to hide and I even saw a shrimp swimming after a guppy the other day. The guppies are smaller than the shrimp.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #8 
Hadouken441

For sure. I have 3 Amanos with peaceful fish ( Rasboras) and they sit on my rocks and sun bathe and munch on algae all day. If my betta where there it would be trouble
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #9 
Kittles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
For sure. I have 3 Amanos with peaceful fish ( Rasboras) and they sit on my rocks and sun bathe and munch on algae all day. If my betta where there it would be trouble
Sounds like a turtle I once had.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #10 
TigerLily

My boyfriend keeps cherries with his bettas, but asking him, he said he would iffy about keeping them (more than one) with fish in anything less than a ten-gallon. The space gives them plenty of room to roam without getting in the betta's face and irritating him. If you do decide to go with them, you may want to be careful.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote