Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #11 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
A standard 5-G could handle a very small school of neons w/ your betta, but I don't know about a hex. That extra height isn't as useful to them as the length would be.
A standard 5 still isn't quite large enough for a proper school and a betta IMO. You might be able to pull it off, but there is a high risk that the neons will go after the bettas fins/betta will go after the neons due to the lack of space.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Agree, 5g just not big enough for a proper school of Neon tetras.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #13 
Narnian

Thanks again for the info everyone. It's strange, because all the neon tetras I've seen seem to sit in one spot and not swim around much. They just sort of turn from side to side (like, if one fish turns around to face the other way, they all turn, but not much swimming.) We used to have 3, actually, in a small cube thingy (don't kill me, I didn't know any better back then), and they didn't swim much either.

I'll take a peek at the frogs next time I go to the store. :) Now if I wanted to put 4-5 tetras ONLY in a 5 gallon (no betta), would that work? Just curious for future reference.

Last edited by Narnian; 04-20-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #14 
DragonFish

If tetras remain stationary like that, they're not in proper conditions. They're either in a tank that is too small, they're not in a proper school, and/or are with unsuitable tankmate(s) that are going after them. I had a school of neons in my 50 gallon a couple years back, they were very beautiful and active fish, lots of fun to watch.

4-5 neons only in a 5? I wouldn't recommend it and I doubt any responsible fish keeper would. There just isn't enough room for them to swim and be active to their full potential, and they should be in schools of at LEAST 5 with 6 or more being the best. Its similar to sticking a betta in a small bowl or vase.....there isn't enough room for proper exercise and the betta wouldn't be active and displaying its natural behavior to its full potential.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #15 
Narnian

Ok, I won't do it then. Thank you. :)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #16 
Mister Sparkle

5 in 5 could work. I've seen it lots of times before. That's still 16 body lengths to zoom across the tank, and I don't usually see them go any farther than that at one time in ANY volume!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #17 
Narnian

Um......so what about guppies? Are they also schooling fish?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #18 
DragonFish

No, guppies aren't schoolers as far as I know, but I think they're like ADFs and enjoy the company of a couple other guppies. You might be able to get away with three male guppies in a standard 5 by themselves, but you couldn't keep them with a betta in such a small tank and you couldn't keep female guppies because they reproduce too quickly(even if you don't get males, most come preggo already).
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #19 
Mister Sparkle

Guppies hang together, but they aren't really "schooling" fish in the same way that tetras and barbs are.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #20 
Narnian

Ok, so 3 male guppies and nothing else in a 5 gallon. Will keep in mind for future. Thanks again for helping me out!