Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Smile Water pump, or maybe not?

I got my betta a new 3.5 gal tank and with it came a water pump which pumps air into the bottom and gives it a very nice affect. But as soon as it is turned on he swims to the surface and chases the bubbles...all day long. It does stir up the surface a bit and he has to fight against a small current (at the top only). Now my question is, is it better to not have it at all, or just use it for a bit each day? It doesnt seem to harm him, he just gets distracted and only swims at the surface chasing bubbles!
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #2 
Kittles

You could play it off as exercisin' if you only do it for brief intervals throughout the day. Your betta may (or may not) live to be nine years old.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
LibraryFish

I actually have a pretty similar question. I just got a baby biOrb and new betta at home! I was pretty pleased with my library fish (who the students have named Mr. Bojangles) and my husband decided to humor my new obsession for my birthday.

This tank is about 3.75-4 gal and also comes with an air pump that sends a lovely column of bubbles to the surface. But the water looks like it's boiling when the bubbles break, it moves so much. I've kinked the air hose so that only a few bubbles come out every 5-10 seconds or so, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this and thinks I should leave it going full-bore, keep it kinked so a minimum of bubbles get through, or turn it off entirely? - I've got lots of extra hose to work with, so I can always cut off the kinked end later.

The baby biOrb has its filter in the bottom of the tank, under the bubble column, so I'm wondering if perhaps the air flow helps with filtration, or if it just aerates the water.
LibraryFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Undergravel filters used to be "the bee's knees" in fishkeeping...nowadays, we know better. There are some pretty good reasons not to use them, water turbulence being the least concerning of them. I'll switch on my broken record player and suggest you get a cheap, basic sponge filter instead.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #5 
Tinman23

I think i'll just do what Library has done and kink the hose, itll definetly ease up on the surface disturbance and maybe Jason wont get so addicted to the surface if there's less bubbles.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Yep, I tie knots in mine so I can control the air. I have an airstone in my hex 5 because there just wasn't enough surface action and it was getting funky up top. You can do the same thing with a valve but tying a knot seemed cheaper. I don't know if that has an effect of the life of the pump though.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #7 
Tinman23

meh, im not too concerned about the pump so I did just tie a knot in it. If the pump fails its no big deal, not like its important or anything. But the cute thing is Jason still chases the few bubbles at the surface...small things for small minds! :)